Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video baker street

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

this one is a great example of a sax player playing with a singer – when to shine, and when to pull back and let the singer shine, moving the sax from spotlight, to accompanyment

jake
      Participant

WOW!!!!!! That is how I feel baker street should be played! Man there’s some screaming ALTISSIMO for ya!!!! One day I can only hope!! I love that tone. Guess I’m in the market for a vandoren jumbo A45 for my alto!!!! Gotta give em a whirl after seeing this!!!!

Anonymous

He is a very good musician, but after listening to his version I listened to Johnny’s version.

To be honest I much prefer the sound of this sax because it has more body and deeper tones IMHO.

Baker Street

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Thanks for sharing JB as it goes to show that the Alto Sax is just plain fun 🙂 Some guys thought by spending the $ on my pro-model Alto (my SR Tenor is an Intermediate model) that it was a “waste of money”–my Alto cost me $1,200 more than my Tenor. But I wonder what the player in this video would say about a pro-model Alto being “a waste of $” I feel kind of bad because I’ve only done 1 upload with it since I’ve had it, and that was with just the regular/stock MP that is included with the Sax with it when you buy it! I didn’t realize that until I thought about it, time goes by too fast! I’ve said it before, another Tenor was not in the original plans as my wife helped me pull that off, my first choice was a pro-model Alto and I’m not ashamed to say that LOL I get asked which of my Saxophones I prefer, the alto or tenor and it’s “all of the above” because both the Alto and Tenor are great Instruments to say the least.
            Those are great points you bring out as it was something I was asking Johnny if he could make some kind of an article/video for his blog about our role as Sax players on a band regarding some of the do’s/dont’s . Working with the guys locally who have been really great with me, they have relayed some experiences to me of very talented musicians who lost out on their spot with the band because they seemed to think they were the “most important person” and I thought a good blog article/video from Johnny to address some of these issues that would really help those of us who are making that transition to playing with live bands. Working with the guys here in the south, they LOVE hearing Blues/Rock solos with Altissimo notes on the Saxophone :)but like everyone else on the band it’s about knowing when it’s “your turn” to solo, not solo, etc.. like you brought out.
            JAKE: Those notes in the Altissimo range are very playable–I know that may sound crazy to say, but believe me…it’s true! Johnny’s provided all the tools we need, keep at it and don’t give up!

Anonymous

one of things i noticed when playing those high alrissimo notes, i found that if you lift the sax up in the air it opens the throat more and makes it easier to pitch higher up – don’t know if anyone else has noticed that?

Michael Bishop
              Participant

Hi JB, for me, getting the MP in the right position in my mouth is what helps me to play that high–yes, it’s very playable–for me, lifting the Sax up like that hasn’t made any difference (for me it didn’t, everyone is different).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.