Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Chord progressions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I’ve been reading books on music composition and made this diagram from the info on chord progressions.

Some chords clash with others, but these chords are the best sounding.

http://tangram.co.za/chord.pdf

The solid lines run both ways, the dashed lines run only one way.

Anonymous

Download the latest version now, it’s much neater.

You can use this diagram together with the chord table for cross reference.

http://tangram.co.za/grid.pdf

Anonymous

@Jeff – Thanks for sharing, interesting chord progression chart,
          should come in useful!
          cheers sxpoet

Anonymous

I’ve now added the minor chord “rules” in the chart.

Apparently these “rules” were established hundreds of years ago. They also say, “There’s absolutely no reason why you can’t deviate from these rules, but we have to bear in mind that it won’t be what listeners are expecting. When it comes to departing from the rules, a little goes a long way.”

I guess experimentation is key to achieving the desired effect.

Anonymous

Cheers Jeff!
              Have to add that to my to do list, when i get back to chord umprovising.

William Cingolani
              Participant

So Runaway starts in the Key of C minor and C minor happens to have three flats just like the key of E flat and the note C is the 6th note in the E flat scale just like the note A is the 6th note in the C scale. Take this W H W W H W W whole half step construction and we can see that the note C begins the 6th mode of the E flat scale called the Aeolian Mode and the 6th note,C,in the E flat major scale is a Pure Minor and the C minor scale with its three flats stands on its own just like the Dorian, Bebop,Blues, Pentatonic, and other minor scales. So I learned something while walking the dog.

Andrew Gibson
                Participant

Thanks for a great chart Jeff. Your point about experimenting, I’m sure is a valid one. I’m trying to do a lot with blues using minor scales and chords. I’m finding that every note can have a place in a minor blues, just a matter of how and where they are played.

Andrew

William Cingolani
                  Participant

Majors and minors
                    Johnny explained all the info about majors and minors yesterday. I also found it in one of my Aebersold books this morning. Thanks Johnny. Jeff, your chart made more sense today. I was just studying the very same thing. Your chart helped. I’ll keep it on my desktop and I’ll print it.

Anonymous

Good point Andrew. I’ve put back the reference to the major chords in brackets, which sometimes follow.
                      I bought a Jazz improvisation book thinking that it would help me understand better, but ended up more confused with the terminology.
                      It wasn’t until I had finished my ‘Grid’ table that I was able to follow the lingo as ‘reference by mode’ was something strange and new to me.

Anonymous

I’ve got four different teaching books on jazz and they all start out with lots of various exercises, what i realise now, is most of them assume you already know how to articulate in jazz sheet notation (which takes months to get familiar with as its a lot different to normal playing) and that you are already very well versed with chords theory (takes a long time to get used to)

Sax Jazz grades are different to ordinary sax grades, and from the start they are more into a lot more scales and modes right at the start and how to play the notes in jazz style. Its no different to learning the C# Major scale first instead of the C major scale.

I find the jazz teaching books act more as a reference book to someone being taught to play jazz by a teacher. My teacher taught me some jazz last year, and i ended by buying two aebersold jazz books, just to practice one page in both books, and each page took a couple of months to get used to. I didn’t bother trying any other pages in both books.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.