Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Europa

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

I’m playing around with “Europa”. Johnny wrote that the song is in A minor. c d e f g A minor, a pure minor, the Aeolian mode.In stead of just playing the melody notes I’ll try to mix in some modes, and Themes.FIRST THREE Chords are Am7 Dm7 G7. Looks like a ii-V-i to me. So where would I enter my first modal scale? Maybe at the first G7 chord eg. half rest 8th rest E A B C B..A E G F.E G FFF MODE F-G-A-B-C—-C-B-A-G-F
      WILLIAM

RockinRobin
      Participant

What comes first? The melody or the chords, chord progression? Do the chords come from the melody notes?
        William

saxomonica
        Participant

Hi William:

What comes first? The melody or the chords, chord progression?

Says Dr Google –

https://www.howmusicreallyworks.com/Pages_Chapter_6/6_1.html

What comes first? The melody or the chords, chord progression?

Says Dr Google

Chords or Melody, What Comes First?

Finally, one for the modal alto players –

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AWt5CUghmo8

saxomonica
          Participant

RockinRobin
            Participant

Explanation Too complicated. Santana’s “Europa”. Lots of ii-v-i’s. What came first. the chord progression or the melody?
              William

RockinRobin
              Participant

Ya, I’ve been watching Johnny’s video of Europa. I have the music and I have the music with chords in Am7 etc. ii-v-i. Johnny did a music graft of Am7 and Gm7 showing Theme 1 and Theme 1A, Theme 2 theme 2 A. How does this apply to “Europa”
                William

john
                Keymaster

where did you see that theme 1 and theme 1a?

RockinRobin
                  Participant

Hi John,
                    That theme 1 and theme 1A was with another Theme thing you were showing us that went with “What Does It Take”. The page with CHORDAL and MODAL. THE TENOR SOLO related to What Does It Take. Regarding your Europa sheet music I plan to go down an octave where you play the high octaves. I can play around with sheet music patterns, e.g. Am7 – Dm7 -G7 seems to be a 2-5-1. I’m just studying the sheet music without just playing the melody notes.
                    I have the sheet music with the chord changes in A minor. With the Europa sheet music when is it Chordal and when is it Modal?
                    William

saxomonica
                    Participant

Hi William,

Which came first?
                      A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The egg is frowning and looking annoyed, and the chicken is smoking a cigarette with a big smile on its face. The egg says, “Well, I guess we answered that question.”

Says Wikipedia:
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(Earth%27s_Cry_Heaven%27s_Smile)

Mark

See –

(Check out around the 9 minute mark for notes / scale etc / actually whole video is pretty good and well worth watching but hope it’s not to complicated 🙂 )
                      Good luck

saxomonica
                      Participant

Another great rendition here too, guys!! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.