Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Fatboy problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan Fleming
    Participant

I just got my Guardala Fatboy tenor piece a few weeks ago and, having allowed what I feel is a significant amount of time getting used to it, I still an not adjusting to it. I’m replacing a Ponzol M2 piece that for the most part I love (you know how sax players are with their gear) but I decided to sink the money in hopes of finding my “ideal” piece. It simply lacks the tonal quality of the Ponzol. I love Java Reds but on the Fatboy it’s too “harsh”, if that makes since. I play mostly counrty/rockabilly, and oldies rock n roll so I am not trying to sound classic. I haven’t tried Rico reeds yet and the closest I got was with soft Lavoz reeds. But they thinned out when I got to G and above although great in the lower register. So I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? As I said earlier I haven’t adjusted to the Fatboy yet and maybe that’s the biggest problem. I’ll keep you posted once I try the Ricos.

William Cingolani
      Participant

Hi Dan.
        I blow Java 2s on my fatboy. I also use a Winslow ligature. Ask the others about the Winslow ligature
        John Winslow
        Madison Enterprises
        PO Box 8434
        Madison Wi 53708-8434

tel# (608) 241-1124

Cost: $90 or the Lig
        $10 S&H

Anonymous

That is normal, and what can happen when you change to a completely different mouthpiece.

What ever new mouthpiece you try out, your brain will automatically expect it to sound just like your old mouthpiece, and if it doesn’t sound like your old mouthpiece you will dislike it. That is a normal response.

Some people will waste time and buy a new mouthpiece that they have tried in a shop and liked the sound of, in fact what they don’t realise is because it sounds similar to their old mouthpiece – imho waste of money, just stick with your old one, unless you need to go up a mouthpiece size.

Because some mouthpieces are different in design, it can take weeks, even months to get it sounding like your old mouthpiece. This is mainly down to your embouchure having to get adjusted to the new mouthpiece etc..

The same thing happens when you go from a dark mouthpiece to a bright mouthpiece or the otherway round. Guardala mouthpieces project a louder sound and can be harder to play softly when you start playing them, they may also play a lot sharper, so you’ll probably have to pull out the mouthpiece more to play in tune. And yes i would expect someone new to a Guardala to think they sound harsh.

I’ve got a guardala king for alto, and experienced the same thing.
          My problem is i love the sound of my theoeanne rubber mouthpiece, and i just cant be bothered to spend months getting it to sound like my theowanne. One day i may switch to the guardala, but for plsying in a small room its just too loud.

Dan Fleming
          Participant

That makes sense, Sxpoet. I’ve stuck with the Java Reds and am still playing the Fatboy exclusively and am starting to find the sound of the piece, which is not that much different than the Ponzol. Liking it more each day and I’m not so disappointed after all. Thanks for the input.

Anonymous

What you will experience, in 6 months to a year down the line, you will develop a type of sound or sounds that you couldn’t do on your Ponzol.

When i changed from a Selmar Soloist mouthpiece to a blueart theowanne durga3 rubber mouthpiece, many months down the line i found i could get a complete new arrangement of sounds that never came out on the selmar soloist. I can now get old jazzy sounding on my horn, more breathy, clean piercing high notes, rumbling low notes – a lot of low sexy sounding notes etc..

Never going back to my old piece.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.