Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Flying home.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

For the first time in a while, I didn’t play yesterday.Various appts etc. I did though have my trusty I pod, and spent the day with a soundtrack. The importance of the ” flying home ” solo, played by the late great Illinois Jacquet, really hit home. I’ve been finding a lot of new stuff. Von Freeman, as I said, can’t get enough of the guy. All his albums are on Spotify. Greg Piccolo also. I’m constantly hearing references alluding to this iconic solo.
      I’m not going anywhere, but I’ve said enough in the last coupla daze to let y,all know I really do enjoy this site. To thank you for the introductions to tracks and artists that have passed me by. Time to get a solid coupla weeks playing down. I wasn’t going to post, but this solo played when Jacquet was with the Hampton band, is a must see. Much like ” Great Scott “… You Tube have a couple of documentaries based around Jacquet and the ” Texas tenors “…..the only way to blow !!..ENJOY…
      Take care everybody, practice hard,see you soon. Best….jak☺

Mel
      Participant

Tenor Sax battle – Flying Home

jak Swift
        Participant

Mighty Mel the music man !!! Thanks Mel, I have to eat right now, but I’ll be checking this later. Some guy gave me a stack of handwritten studies. ( I reckon he’s copied them😉 ). The Jacquet stuff is tricky. Hard to explain but the dots will only ” open up ” if you find the pulse and really push it. The melody line makes sense. The notes go on about how Jaquet was known for his ” take no prisoners ” style. Yeah…trying stuff. But good !!
          Later….thanks again

jak Swift
          Participant

Well yeah…what can I say , that hasn’t already been said. The talent on that stage, the years of Blowin !! Its a class tune; Ole Illinois owned it. Dex looked like a giant, and man could Arnett Cobb not find a bigger bow tie….😊
            Its been a great coupla days folks…
            Soon…. Jak

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.