Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Green Onions – tenor sax cover

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

hi all; I just did this a couple days ago, it’s easy to play; ‘Green Onions’ (Booker T & the MGs, 1962):

-ken

setup: yts62 purple logo w/otto link STM8 & van doren 2 1/2 java green reed

p.s. I’ve been going to the gym this last month 3x/week; doing walking (elliptical/exercise bikes) helped a lot for getting lower notes on tenor; now I can play down to low Bb much more easily.

Anonymous

Good rhythm,timings not too bad, some notes sound a bit squeaky weak? sounds just as if you have too much mouthpiece in your mouth which is stopping you from getting a deeper sounding low note, i would take in just a bit less. Simple exercise passed on to me, is when you take the sax out before you do anything else, get the tuner out, and play a low Bb loudly and for a complete breath, so its a loud rich smooth steady tone, do this about 10 times, but do it every day. Then just play a Bb scale going up from Bb in the same strength.
        By the end of a few weeks you will have strong Low Bb. Some people do this exercise everyday as they reckon it puts the whole sax in tune, if you tune up higher up the sax, then you have the problems of tuning lower down and problems with tuning further up in the higher register.

Overall sounded great

jak Swift
        Participant

Excellent !! Whatever you doing keep it up. Great tune, competent over the changes . Great tone, but a cent flat. That matters, but it happens. I’ve heard recordings where I’m way out. All good man…long tones..you know it !!

Simon
          Participant

Nice! How long you play saxophone Jazz Cat?

Kevin
            Participant

Ken, Always enjoy your videos, thanks for uploading! Your tone development and sax equipment/setup are working well for you. You had some passages where the technical runs may have got all the notes in, but just lacked some musicality/expression or some smoothness to make those passages wow your audience. For me the overall performance has a fairly middle of the road range for the dynamics. My meaning is that for the passages that need to rip need some convincingly more rip to contrast against the more subtle passages. Giving that extra effort for those passages will also show in your visual performance. These are of course points that all of us aspiring to become musicians of this instrument are striving to progress in…

jak Swift
              Participant

That reminded me ” Rumble ” by Link Wray would be very cool. Its a few notes, plenty of room for sccops, growls. If I had a horn, and I’d give it a go . Guess, I’d need a backing track. Food for thought… Johnny ?? !!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.