Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips Happy New Year 2022

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Been out of the loop, but still dropping in every week to check the forums.

Good luck to everyone with playing/practicing in 2022.

Keep uploading recordings and any tips on playing, sight reading, motivation, equipment upkeep, tweeks to recording setups, useful music books you come across, stuff that works for you.

i’m still working through timing/technique exercises, which has helped with sight reading … long way to go, so holding off from uploading any recordings.

best wishes

john
      Keymaster

happy new year to you as well!
        glad to hear you are still on the practice plan. good luck. I hope to upload a page soon on tuning, working with a tuner etc….I think of all things saxophone this is probably the most needed improvement by most…so stay tuned for that…pardon the pun!

Anonymous

Thanks John – looking forward to the tuner page.

I have a problem with tuning in the altissimo range, i can play scales up to altissimo F without a problem. When i use a Tuner to check each altissimo key in tune, i find playing Altissimo C difficult to get it spot on with the tuner needle – i can play a steady Altissimo C, but it’s either too sharp or too flat.

It’s not a big issue as the most times i play altissimo keys are in scales or improvising – most of my music sheets very rarely play in the altissimo range.

I find with Altissimo E and F i need a firmer a reed, not a reed that goes softer while playing.

Just to recap, i can play the altissimo keys and adjust my embouchure to play a key spot on with the needle but with Altissimo C if i readjust my embouchure it jumps sharper or flatter but impossible to get it spot on. Could be an instrument problem?

Mel
          Participant

Happy New Year!!!

Mel
            Participant

Johnny –

The tuner page upload sounds great! Will it be to your Blog? I won’t say what one I am using now. Will wait to see if you show various models and which ones you like.

RockinRobin
              Participant

Hey! Hey! Hey!
                I have a battery powered Yamaha tuner, Tuner on my iPhone, tuners on the web, tuner on GarageBand. Microphone needed for the GarageBand tuner and for others. Since I’m tone deaf one more tuner might help. What I really need is a conductor standing in front of me like I had in Jazz band. All sounds great.
                William

RockinRobin
                Participant

Looks like a good year

RockinRobin
                  Participant
                    john
                    Keymaster

@sxpoet sure can be the horn as they are all different for intonation…that’s the reason we sax players need to work with a tuner.
                      a different fingering might help….I only put a couple options in my altissimo course, have you tried more than one?

john
                      Keymaster

as for the tuner…the one I chose is actually a little difficult to get spot on, it makes you work hard at it but this can be a good thing. if a tuner is hard to get your note spot on that’s ok, as long as you’re within a certain amount. the hard work of working with it will pay off in the long run

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.