Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Here's "Spooky" Alto Saxophone Instrumental

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

Good points Kevin, when I’m recording flat (no reverb) I am not as confident as when I have a nice amount of reverb.
      It just makes you sound better so you feel better and therefore (hopefully) play better!
      How I adjust my reverb levels is to have just enough that you don’t hear the reverb but it’s there doing it’s job. the way to check this is get it to that point, then mute it. you should hear the difference then.turn it back on and it doesn’t have that dead flat sound anymore but at the same time you can’t actually hear the effect.

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Thanks for the tips Kevin–I, myself, didn’t add any reverb in the backing track. That may have been added by the folks in the recording studio who produced this track for me…yes this track was produced in a REAL studio as you will NOT find it anywhere online. It was custom-made to my preferences and taste for the song I wanted to play. I have some more projects coming up with more custom tracks from time-to-time and I have e-mailed a couple of them to Johnny already to get his insights. I would have MUCH RATHER prefer that Johnny does the track though LOL But I think to musicians I had produce this track for me did a great job in capturing the essence of the original release. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and I’ll check that out….great ears Kevin!!! Wow 🙂 No, I didn’t realize there was any noticeable amount of Reverb in the track, because I didn’t put any; didn’t even think about it. But with this new software, the next few uploads will surely be a trial-and-error type of thing; we’ll get there….very slowly LOL. The one thing it’s time to replace is the Mic for sure; I’ll take care of that sometime over the summer.

I can hear Altissimo notes in my mind before I play the note (as Johnny teaches in his course, we have to hear the note before we play it) and I don’t think about the notes anymore, just play and “boom” I hit them with no hesitation at all LOL…but an added plus to your benefit, Kevin, is your very attentive to detail and I believe you would do really well in Johnny’s Altissimo course. You show how you have full control of the Sax in it’s normal range; so in my mind I think you’re ready for the Altissimo range….the payoff is HUGE and loads of fun 🙂 You’ve been playing at least a year or so longer than me and you have qualities in your playing that I don’t have yet, so if I was able to play in the Altissimo range with Johnny’s help, then I’m more-than-confident you can too!! You hear things really well. If anything, Johnny’s Altissimo course does WONDERS to your playing even in the normal range…and that alone is worth it! 🙂

Thanks for the recording insights guys and we’ll work to make adjustments for the next upload which we’ll be doing on my Trevor James pro model TENOR within the week…this Tenor is a BEAST of a Saxophone. If anyone is looking for a new Sax, I strongly encourage you to check out Trevor James..what you get for the $ is just really tough to beat.

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.