Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Hey guys check out this link on Steve Douglas!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

I’m still away guys so my time on the forum has been limited but today someone sent me this link that features some great playing from one of the best rock sax players ever
      You should check it out and take it all in:
      http://opensourcemusic.com/steve-douglas/

Cheers
      Johnny

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Thanks much Johnny for posting that here 🙂 Awesome stuff to say the least. Anything you can share, post, talk about along these lines of what Steve Douglas did would be awesome to say the least. I’m out of town right now myself, will be back Monday afternoon.
        I’ve been saying it for probably at least a year now, but this is definately the direction I wanna go with my playing and I’ve been working really, really hard to practice the things on the Saxophone that will allow me to play this way…your killer Blues book, the music theory, the Altissimo, etc.. I’ve been working like a “mad man” on these things. For me, I would have to say King Curtis and Junior Walker are probably the 2 guys who I listen to the most because the way they approached their own Saxophone playing defintely hits with me 🙂 You may remember a few months back I sent you some custom backing tracks I had made for some of their stuff; I have those songs done (as well as “What Does It Take” from your track/sheet music) and will upload them very soon, probably after the holidays/your holiday music. I should have “I Was Made To Love Her” done very soon…..VERY excited about holding the Altissimo G!!! 🙂 I was getting ready to start working on King Curtis’ “Knock On Wood”…cool groovy song 🙂 I really do feel “priviledged” to live here in the Southern U.S. where these guys spent so much time playing…it still stick with people down here even to this day after all these years 🙂 I’ve talked to a couple of older folks who actually saw them play live in person.
        Speaking of how King Curtis played the Blues, here’s a few of my favorites–love the ones he did with Jack Dupree….man, this is GOOD stuff and it makes me smile, BIG time, to think I’m starting to pick up on this stuff now !?! 🙂 Still got a long way to go, but this is the direction I’m going with my playing, all kinds of Blues/Rock.

Dazza
        Participant

Dazza
          Participant

What a great sound

Dazza
            Participant

if anyone has, or can find this video, without the Russian voice-over that would be great!

Dazza
              Participant

Hey JF or anyone. What is Stevew doing at 1:33 in Peter Gunn? Can’t quite work out what notes he is hitting as his top hand appears to be off the sax?

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Hi Dazza,
                  He’s doing little trills while playing C#. I’ve noticed on both Alto and Tenor, when trilling notes from C and up to Eb, the trills sound much better when trilling with the top of the 3 side keys. Trilling on high E and F sound 1/2 okay on the top of those 3 side keys, but are usually best with the lowest of the 3 keys. The notes of A and B usually sound best with the middle of the 3 keys. There’s a cool technique that Cannonball Adderley used for trilling that became so popular that players eventually called it the “Adderley Trill” and it’s used a lot of Blues. It was used most often when playing Blues in G, but it can be adapted to use in just about any blues scale you can think of. I’ll go post it for you in the area of Johnny’s forum regarding “Repertoire”, that’s where Johnny lets us put licks/riffs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.