Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Hotel California

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

James u inspired me to post a video here. This is purely for entertainment purposes. If u want to offer feedback fire away but just wanted to share my efforts of hard work with the fine members of this forum. This video was taken about a week ago at a friends party. This was first time we played this as a group. What a great time!! Enjoy.

Anonymous

bravo – keep the uploads rolling guys! Thats entertainment, its like being a fly on the wall!

For me – its just as interesting to see what people are up to, or look in on one of their practice sessions! Behind the scenes work can often be more interesting than the actual performanc.

I’d love JF to do a video in the day of the life of JF – saxwise.
        An insight to a Pro’s day – what he does to keep in sax shape, followed by a live gig recording?

Thanks for sharing Jake, interesting to see what you’ve been up to, like the rest of us, we’ve all got a rough idea of our shortcomings (if any)!

Great to see you having fun! and putting that sax to use out there!!

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Very nice Jake 🙂 Nothing quite like playing with great friends. When you first started learning from Johnny, did you ever think you would get to that point of being able to play with others? Great feeling to say the least. It’s easy to see the results of your hard work too. Keep at it!

jake
          Participant

Nope. Never imagined being able to pull this off. I was happy to play green sleeves. Lol. Never imagined jamming with a band. I started the sax purely for fun after I saw a wedding band that had the sax as its main instrument. The sax wasn’t the icing on the cake with that band. Lol. Keep at the hard work. The sky’s the limit.

jake
            Participant

Another clip from that party. 1st time with this tune as well. Wish it all was recorded. Dancers were in the way. Oh well. That why I play. For entertainment. People sure had fun for sure.

Anonymous

Jake – 2nd clips quite good as well! Got some good players in there! Sounds like a band to me!

Kevin
                Participant

Jake, great clip of your sax and band performing. Audio from I’m assuming someone’s phone turned out pretty good! Good times I’m sure, keep up the great work…

Marc Justiniano
                  Participant

Jake, cool band. Only thing is that I couldn’t hear you play. Perhaps due to you not having a solo and just play parts as always happens when you play in a band. Nice to see you playing in a band. Best of luck and most importantly having fun playing the sax.

john
                    Keymaster

I think Jake is doing it right. playing in a pop-rock band as a sax player we have to find our spots. there can’t be a solo or feature every song. if we over play in a more non-sax type song then other band members won’t like it, and for good reason. playing those background chordal tones and lines is exactly the way to go. if and when there is a solo spot you take it, have your few seconds in the spotlight and back to blending in.
                      also, don’t constantly play background stuff, have song sections where you play nothing at all. then when you do add a few notes it helps to lift up the music a bit more and you are appreciated again.

Michael Bishop
                      Participant

Yes, Jake did a very good job here and it’s very, very encouraging to see the progress that he’s made…playing with a band! 🙂
                        Johnny: This is great timing for you to address those issues of knowing when to solo/not solo, when to play/not play, etc.. I really think this is a subject that you should consider doing a video on and post it in your blog or something. I get together with some good friends that I’ve made since my audition and they have related to me some experiences of all kinds of players–Sax players, guitar players, etc here locally who lost their spots on the band because they seemed to think that they were more important than the vocalist or other players….and we’re not. The trend I’ve seen in starting to network with these guys locally is that everyone “takes their turn” if you get what I mean. No one will want to play with someone who wants the spotlight only for himself. If we don’t fit in, then we’re out of the band and that’s the bottom line.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.