Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Influence

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

I always hear whose your biggest influence. Who keeps ya playing.
      When I started plying sax 5 years or so now I originally picked it up after hearing a wedding band. I thought that would be cool to do that!! I also listened to the 80’s music. So many people say that’s corny sax not like the real greats before! That’s the great thing about the saxophone, so many different sounds and styles!
      So I was never one to listen to all the greats and never had an idol that I wanted to emulate. But as my sax journey began and I found this learning website, very quickly Johnny became my influence and idol! If I were to emulate a sound, yours is the one!
      I appreciate the greats before my time but I really love good old rock and roll sax!!!! It took a while but I’d like to think that’s starting to come thru in my playing and song selections now.
      Just want to say thanks again for all you do here! If it wasn’t for this site I really don’t know if I’d still be going strong.

Anonymous

that’s life – once you’ve tried all the rest, you always come back to the best!

I started Sax lessons from day one, in tandem with the stuff on Johnnys website. A lot of the stuff i learnt from Johnnys website, i didn’t need to learn in Sax lessons – as an example i taught myself to play altissimo through Johnnys website.

jake
        Participant

I’ve been here since the beginning as well. I took lessons from an instructor for the first 3 months or so and then it’s been Johnny’s site! I really like the professional feedback ya get. Back when I started this was a hopping site! Tons of interactions and dialogue going on. Dunno what happened but would be nice to get back to some level again!!

Jose Luis Hinojosa
          Participant

Great to hear your new-found love for sax, @jake! Johnny is also keeping me going with the slower, romantic stuff. Blessings 🙏🏼

john
            Keymaster

Thanks guys. sorry for the late response but I’ve been away for a few days with almost zero internet coverage.
              Jake, I like the early rockers too, and I guess lile you, that sound spoke more to me than others…./
              I also love those few jazz players who have beautiful tones like Stan Getz and especially Ben Webster..
              as for the site interatcions, I don’t know….things go up and down. the uploads from members used to be on the Blog section but that was more difficult to manage so I changed it to the Forum, don’t know if that had something to do with it.

Anonymous

I’ve just had a month off from playing the sax, bought a new reed, and now got a sore lip from lack of practicing.

I don’t interact as much any more, in my case when you get further down the road you get more specific on what you want to do on the sax, and take more control of what you do, and get less dependent on the internet for learning.

If anyone goes to WDW, check out the avatar ride – i went on it, and its just like being in the film, incredible.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.