Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Jingle bell rock

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Well played Simon! Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.

Simon
      Participant

Thanks for comments. Yeah rhythm and timing are making me problems. Teacher already told me i need to do more on timing. If tune is faster i get lost easy. Will practise more with metronome and foot tapping.

Will give some time with mpc more further in mouth. Sound is much more louder that way , but i also get squeeks alot.

Pete
        Participant

Simon sounding good from the last time I heard you, timing is a curse for us all at first.

Anonymous

Every new music sheet piece i try out, it takes me ages of practicing just to get the timing near correct.
            It pays me first to get the timing near correct playing first with a metronome and then later not using the metronome and using the timing in my head.

Then i find when i start playing along to the backing track, i have to spend a lot more time (a couple of weeks or longer), just practicing along with the backing track as when i play along with a track i can get distracted just by listening to the track more and concentrating less on the timing in the music sheet. Then theres a cut period, where i don’t want to spend any more time working on it, not just me, but other people in the house can get tired of hearing the same piece over and over, day after day, week after week. lol

One of the most confusing things i find with backing tracks which varies from track to track , is the metronome count in on the backing track. A simple ‘one two three four’ is the only count in that works for me, i find metronome half beats and speeding up the metronome count in doesn’t work for me. Also relying on the drummer is an art form skill to master, as they always throw in a lot of extra drums as they parade through various parts of a tune, sometimes its easier to follow the base player, but they can change direction in various bars.

For me timing problems are never going to go away, unless i just play the same song all the time over and over – at the end of the day, it’s down to how much time i’m prepared to spend practicing a piece. As they say in computer land GIGO (garbage in garbage out) lol

john
            Keymaster

Let me ask you this…
              do you have the same issue when singing along with the track?

Anonymous

I sure do, more so with backing tracks, in church i rely on the rest of the people singing in terms of starting in various sections, but thats down to unfamiliarity with the piano or organist and the singing part of the song. With lots of repeated practice there isn’t an issue.

The only way round it is listening to a track over and over and mentally registering when to come in, or relying on mentally counting in when to start.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.