Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire John Lennon; Imagine; Happy Xmas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

I like Johnny’s arrangement of John Lennon’s song “Imagine” so I played it. I followed it up with another of John Lennon’s songs, “Happy Xmas (War is Over). “Imagine” for Bb saxes is in the key of “D” major. “Happy Xmas” for Bb saxes is in the key of “B”. Seems like the two go together quite well. I notice in the circle of 5ths B is a minor of D. I played both songs with no backing track.

Anonymous

If you have a photographic memory, and can recall what the circle of 5ths looks like, then to get a minor key, just move 3 steps clockwise.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=K%2f3392Hu&id=1AD437149892D06746CB96819044511BAECDC679&thid=OIP.K_3392Hui71j7LtVz4vTkwHaHh&q=circle+of+5ths&simid=607989079285369974&selectedIndex=6

john
        Keymaster

William, makes sense cause B major is a semi-tone up from Bb so it’s a nice uplifting raise. That’s why it sounds good to our ears.
          B is the relative minor of D major, so not really the case here because Happy Xmas is in B major.

RockinRobin
          Participant

I had to go down half size on my reed strength, from a carbon onyx medium to a medium soft on my carbon fat boy 7* mouthpiece. Good match, 7* and medium soft onyx reed. I’ll be bouncing back and forth from a medium soft to medium. When we arrive in Taos New Mexico we’ll have to hunt for internet service, broadband, smoke signals, or something.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.