Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax Know anything about Suzuki model of Alto Saxophones? Someone here is willing to let me have one in exchange for cleaning his carpets.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

😎 Hi Johnny,
      This weekend someone wants be to clean the carpets on my off day and as a trade will give me their used Suzuki Alto Sax. I wish I had a camera with me to upload a pic but all my photo/video gadgets are at home but it appears to be in good shape. The Sax is in great shape and has an side F# key. Do you know if these lines of Saxophone are any good? (When I think of Suzuki I think about Yamaha, they both make very similar items) This is in no way going to stop my from buying my Trevor James here soon after I get back home, but it’s hard to turn down a free sax in exchange for cleaning someone’s carpets. I have till tomorrow to decide, hope you see/respond to this post with any insights you may have about them. Be back home soon 🙂

john
      Keymaster

You can’t compare a Suzuki sax with a Yamaha sax, Yamaha is way better. If I were you I’d play it to see if it works properly. I wouldn’t buy one but for free and if it plays well then it’s worth 200 or 300$ to a beginner I guess.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Thanks Johnny—the brand of Suzuki triggered in my mind the brand of Yamaha because both companies make things like Scooters, Cycles, etc.. so didn’t know if the same could be said of their Saxophones. I’ll see how it plays.

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Just a couple of hours ago, I met with the man who wanted me to clean his carpets in exchange for his Suzuki Alto Sax–I brought my MP/reed with me because I didn’t have it with me when I looked at it…but I had my own Sax in the car with me to for comparison sake. That thing had to be made in China or something…it was a joke of a Saxophone! The overall intonation was worst than anything I have ever used up until this point…and I’m saying that from the standpoint from even when my student model of Alto was out of tune! Nowhere near even the Student model of Saxophone I have right now, let alone a Trevor James. The guy then tactfully & a little “sarcastically” insinuated that maybe I didn’t know much about the Saxophone…what he didn’t know was I had my own Alto in the car with me. The nerve of this guy! I pulled it out and played the exact same licks…..game over. No wonder Johnny has always said to stay away from those Saxophones made from China. Always cover your tracks and leave no stone unturned when looking at getting a Sax for yourself!

john
            Keymaster

I’ve never tried a Suzuki but I knew they weren’t comparable to Yamaha. No matter, it just takes under one minute to tell for yourself by blowing a few notes into it just like you found out!
              Michael I posted a request in another forum thread asking for personal testimonials. I know you’ve given several good comments to other members regarding the site, my lessons etc and I could search for some but would rather ask you to just do a short, to the point one so I can add it to the site. Have received some already. My friend who got me going with this site a few years ago wants to add a few things to help the site grow and testimonials are important so I need to get some! If you and anyone else reading this can help just write a line or 2 and email it to me so I can pass it on.
              thanks
              Johnny

jake
              Participant

Glad you tried the sax before you agreed to the deal Michael. That should be the biggest concern when purchasing a sax, that and where it can be serviced. I have to say though, my tenor sax is a HAWK< China made and that thing rocks for me. Musta been a lucky one I guess. When I did get it brand new, I did take it to a repair shop for adjustment and it then was smooth from top to bottom. The intonation seems to be there for me. Eventually I want to get into a professional sax but for me getting to learn the sax and knowing I am in for the long haul was worth not fronting that big expense in the beginning. The downside for new player is how do you know if something is good?? Try before you buy if you can!!

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Oh, sure Johnny! More than happy to give you a quick testimonial for you to use; I’ve only told the truth to other members–I noticed one new member went and bought Killer Blues after I talked to him about it LOL I haven’t seen that post you put here in particular here on the forum but I’ve been so busy helping out here in NM to have much time to doing a lot of browsing here on the forum…I will be back soon in one month! 🙂 My wife and I were happy that we we’re in a position to help my brother-in-law recover from his surgery but it’s been very tough both mentally and emotionally on me to be away from my wife/kids for almost 3 months. As strange as it may sound, practicing the Saxophone helped me not too think much about being away and I have had fun re-visiting old friends and family. I’ve always loved the Saxophone as my wife will tell you, just never imagined I would be back here in New Mexico playing one! Don’t just love it when things turn out differently than you plan? 😉
                  I’ll e-mail you a testimonial Johnny–was it a band member you played with who got you going? You can tell him I said thanks! 🙂

john
                  Keymaster

Ok great. That can be very tough, the surgery I mean, as my mom had an emergency surgery for her small colon couple weeks ago and it was very tense for a while there so I feel for you!
                    Yes it was a fellow band mate that’s much smarter than me when it comes to business and online sites etc as he has been in it for many years. He has given me much encouragement and help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.