Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Lavecka

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

you guessed it – another classical timing piece,
      written by the same composer that wrote budicek (Leos Janacek).

One interesting point, using the metal Guardala king alto in this recording,
      i can still sound as classical as when i play on my rubber mouthpiece.

Even though the metal Guardala alto king is a bright mouthpiece, what’s probably helping
      achieve the classical sound is i’m actually using a ‘Filed’ Rico Select Jazz reed (which is supposed to give a darker sound)
      compared to the “Unfiled’ Rico Select Jazz reed (which is supposed to give a brighter sound).

so i’ll have to buy and “unfiled” Rico Select Jazz Reed to compare it too, to see if it actually gives a brighter sound.

john
      Keymaster

very nice….I lilke the mp, your tone is clear but not too bright

brother cavefish
        Participant

i thought the unfiled was darker

Anonymous

looks like i got it wrong …

A lot of people ask about the difference between filed and unfiled reeds. Here’s a brief explanation:

An option to fine-tune the sound, the filed is often preferred by players who use traditional, moderately resistant, dark-sounding mouthpieces– the file helps such mouthpieces blow more freely.

For those who play relatively easy-blowing, moderate-to-bright mouthpieces (especially jazz or pop sax mouthpieces with a high baffle), an unfiled reed is usually preferred.

The French File (or “file”) is the area behind the vamp (or cut portion) where the bark is sanded
            off in a straight line.

The File-
            * Provides ease of response, especially in the low register… …making soft attacks easier.
            * Also makes the tone slightly brighter… …for use with resistant mouthpieces.
            An unfiled reed provides a darker tone and more resistance; a filed reed provides a brighter tone and is more free-blowing.
            Recommended use of filed or unfiled reeds for common sax mouthpieces:
            Filed
• Meyer
            • Otto Link
            • Selmer rubber
            Unfiled
• Dukoff
            • Beechler
            • Selmer metal
            • Guardala
            • Berg Larsen
            Rico offers the following filed reeds: Rico Royal, Reserve (saxophone) Rico Select Jazz, Hemke, and Grand Concert Select
            The following reeds are unfiled: La Voz, Rico, Rico Rico Select Jazz

I’ll have to buy a ‘Filed’ Rico Select Jazz reed and compare it to my ‘Unfiled’ Rico Select Jazz reed

Anonymous

So confusing, i meant to say

I’ll have to buy an ‘UnFiled’ Rico Select Jazz reed and compare it to my ‘Filed’ Rico Select Jazz reed.

got there in the end…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.