Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions lets call it a studder step !

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Randy
    Participant

Johnny I have been working to establish a (what I would call ) a studder step note which is a transition between 2 notes or even running up a few notes (did a dit- did a dit -did a dit) kind of thing. For me it usually happens by accident when I am messing around and I am not sure how to make it happen intentionally on a regular bases. one example of it is Boots R doing King of the Road around the 50 second mark of the song I am not sure you would have the same version but maybe I could email a sample. Anyway I would like to figure this thing out and make it an exersize if you can help me with figuring it out. Thanks

john
      Keymaster

I just looked for it on youtube and only found a live version (man he plays it well)
        so you’ll have to send me a link or mp3 for me to give a listen to what you mean.

Randy
        Participant

will do I will try and find a couple examples for you.

Alan Costin
          Participant

Hi RandyVan and Johnny, if you mean this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub72eylahJg at 16 and 27 seconds then I’m having the same problem. I sometimes get it by accident but can’t get it to happen when I want it to.

john
            Keymaster

No Big Al, the Boots example, which I was finally able to hear is a very quick tonging technique (maybe Randy can post the example again)
              Fast tonguing is difficult to do accurately but can be done by just starting slow and increasing your speed.

The Jr Walker example you posted is not this at all, he’s just going back and forth using mainly the notes of the chord, which is cool as well.

Randy
              Participant

Johnny I would be happy to post the example.

http://www.lateeditionband.com/downloads/boots.mp3

Its fast and I really have tried to slow it down and get it so it will take some time. Johnny I would love it if you could show us your version of doing this and maybe an accending scale or note pattern to practice with.

john
                Keymaster

Oh man, nothing I would like more than record lessons by request but I’ve usually got several projects going all at once and so I don’t even have the time it takes to do that one, right now anyways…

I can just say that to get that effect it’s practicing your tonguing – think short ta, ta, ta, ta etc

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.