Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Ligiture

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tim56
    Participant

Johnny: What lig do you recommend? I have a Yamaha62-2 and a Selmer MK-6. My MP is a Mayer 5. It works very well.

john
      Keymaster

Check out the video I did on ligs. The one I use is shown in there, I got it so long ago don’t even recall the name but you can still get the same type. The idea is for the lig not to choke the reed and these nice ones barely apply any real pressure.
        https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/sax-ligature

eugene mitchell
        Participant

Hi Jonny I AM PLAYING A NICE NEW TENNOR, BUT THINKING OF BUYING ALTO WITH PRICE NOT BEING IMPORTANT DO YOU THINK A MARK VI IS TO MUCH FOR A BEGINER,AND IF SO WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST.THANKS

john
          Keymaster

No a MK 6 is one of the best horns anyone can get. They are expensive but if you got the money you should get one!
            One the other hand, if you still want a really good horn and don’t want to spend so much there are many alternatives that I can only start to suggest. Yamaha makes really nice mid to pro models that would cost much less than the 6. I’m blowing a borrowed Trevor James alto right now and their intermediates are really nice at just over $1000 I think (my friend is the dealer and I’d have to double check)
            Years ago there might have been only a handfull to mention but these days as with anything else there is much more competition and so we have more looking around to do and to be honest I just don’t bother too much because I’m happy with what I’ve got.
            If you do decide to go for the 6 you’ll have to shop around for a used one and depending where you live that could be a problem.
            Where are you at in terms of experience? A real beginner can blow on almost anything for the first little while but with some years ubder your belt you’ll really notice how awesome the selmer’s are.

Tim56
            Participant

Johnny: Ligs, WOW so many and I have been using this bad lig forever! I know yours is old but is correct. Have you looked what is out there lately? Any recommendations if you have? Vandoren looks good, Theo Wanne also. One you would buy if you had to? Thanks

Tim56
              Participant

Newbie: I can recommend, Tenor Madness for a MK–6. I bought mine from them 2 years ago. Amazing! Randy Jones and Co. are nice people and honest! Good luck!

john
                Keymaster

I know this guy Theo Wanne is making very good stuff. I would look to him. His ligs look great, probably better than what I”ve got and that’s where i’d go if mine were gone tomorrow.

Tim56
                  Participant

Thanks Johnny. I will let you know. Tim56

Randy
                    Participant

A note on Theo Wanne I used them on my tenor and alto and felt there were 2 problems for me. the lig seemed to kill the buzz or some of the vibration in the horns, I moved them around and loosened and tightened without much luck. the second being that the ligs would slip on the mouthpieces. that was a problem when you are performing and that put an end to my Theo Wanne ligs, as I had to move on. The quality was very good on the ligs though.
                      If you are looking for one similar to Johnny’s try
                      http://www.saxophon-service.de/saxxas/saxxas.html#price

Randy
                      Participant

if you are looking for one like Johnny’s this one is similar
                        http://www.saxophon-service.de/saxxas/saxxas.html#price

I had problems with Theo Wannes with sound and slipping so I moved on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.