Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire money?

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by john.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

i was trying out the alto sheet, and on the 1st line where you have D# shouldn’t that be an E? i was replacing all the D#’s with an E.

john
      Keymaster

no the D# is the proper melody note…if you play an E no big deal still sounds ok but when you hear Lennon or anyone else sing it they hit that note (D# in this case).

Anonymous

That’s interesting, the pro that teaches me says a similar thing over and over .. the music sheet is just a guide, if you don’t like the way some parts sound on the sheet, then alter the sheet. I’ve experienced that in an orchestra, where the conductor didn’t like a few parts of the music sheet, and got everyone to alter the sheet with a pencil.

john
          Keymaster

I experience that all the time…
            I’ve been transcribing music for a long time now and sometimes I will have a doubt on what a certain note or rythme should be so I will check my interpretation against another published version and sometimes there are several very different interpretations.
            so you gotta go with what sounds best in your mind.
            Also, when transcribing a vocal part for a saxophone sometimes that proper vocal note is not the best option for the sax.
            you can do your own experiment by playing that note in Money (play that melody part) over and over then put it up against a clip of another version….say the beatles or the motown version etc. you’ll probably start to hear the obvoius difference

Anonymous

Thanks, i’ll give that a go.

just been trying out your killer blues ‘rock & roll’ – i’ll have to start trying out improvising with that one.

john
              Keymaster

mostly in the Killer Blues course I tried to give exercises that can be actual riffs as well so by doing them you’re not only getting to know the notes of that particular pentatonic scale, you’re also playing and eventually learning a very usable riff.
                Of course as you progress with it you should stretch it out and develop your own take or variation etc either with slightly different notes and/or rythmes.

john
                Keymaster

mostly in the Killer Blues course I tried to give exercises that can be actual riffs as well so by doing them you’re not only getting to know the notes of that particular pentatonic scale, you’re also playing and eventually learning a very usable riff.
                  Of course as you progress with it you should stretch it out and develop your own take or variation etc either with slightly different notes and/or rythmes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.