Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself NEW HAGGIS-FLAVOURED SAX

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Fisher
    Participant

HAGGIS-FLAVOURED SAX

19th January 2019

Hello Everyone,

Being here in Glasgow, Scotland, it’s great to be in contact with all the who enjoy Johnny’s sax style, passion and approach to teaching. I emailed him recently to say that he takes a complicated subject and simplifies it while some others do the opposite.

As a beginner of a couple of months deeply shallow experience I’m still working my way through Johnny’s “How to Play Saxophone – A Complete Beginner’s Guide” and ironing out some of the imagined problems I had with my reed, mouthpiece and ligature combination…still some way to go but I’ll get there.

I have:
      SAX: Yamaha YAS280 (Alto),
      MP: Yamaha 4C,
      REED: Leger Signature No.2. I switched to synthetic soon after starting out…it removes some of the uncertainties that haunt beginners with cane reeds…cheaper in the long run too,
      LIGATURE: Yamaha stock ligature.

QUESTION (It’s an old one I’m afraid but here it is):
      What would be a good upgrade combo of mouthpiece and ligature? For some reason I can’t quite identify accurately I don’t like the Yamaha ligature.
      The reason I ask is that I find it impossible to play pianissimo to forte and back again (crescendo to decrescendo to crescendo).

I’ve worn out my lips but have new ones on order.

Y’gottalaff

brother cavefish
      Participant

it would be the best thing you could do, , i have a friend who has some sweet alto for sale, theo wanne, and no one can beat the price

Anonymous

Hi Michael – the best investment for a beginner, is find a Sax teacher, preferebly one with a music degree, or someone who makes a living out of playing the Sax. At least have some “one to one” lessons for the 1st year.

Anonymous

is there any whisky better than dimple?

Michael Fisher
            Participant

How y’doing Brother Cavefish?
              I initially took some lessons but all I could get were 30 minute stretches – hardly enough time to set up and pack my gear. Hunted around for other teachers but all were booked up. On the whisky question – a very large number might satisfy you. Some fly very quietly below the mass sales radar. As with music and nearly all else, personal tastes in whisky vary enormously so choosing a favourite is a matter of experience. Price and quantity do not always equal quality…sorta like some of the high-priced sax gear that is sold. On the latter, I have no experience.

brother cavefish
              Participant

well if we are talking whisky, pendeltons is smooth, bulliet is nice and so is tin cup

Anonymous

my wife was brought up on tasting/drinking good whisky (blended malts) like
                  Glenmorangie which is ok and affordable, but Dimple is superior costs around $95 usa a bottle plus $35 usa postage here in the uk, not affordable.

recently we aquired some tester drams of japanese whisky,
                  ‘mars maltage cosmo’, ‘hibiki’ – we haven’t tried them yet, but the
                  japanese whisky is competing with scottish whisky, as the japanese are
                  fond of good scottish whisky.

when we went to Ireland, we got to a bushmills whisky distellery too late in the day, and missed out on the tasting sessions that day.

when you try some of these expensive brands (15 yr old), it ruins your appreciation for run of the mill whisky (or so my wife claims), me i prefer rum. lol

i’ll have look out for the canadian brands.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.