Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation Page 2 of comments are not showing up

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

What does “D major w/#4” mean. I knew this two weeks ago but I forgot. I found it. #4 means the 4th note in the scale is raised half step. b means the note in the scale is lowered half step.

Anonymous

Hi william, have a look at this table which I made to reference modes for myself.

Scales and modes table

You will see that for a Dominant 7 chord you flatten the 7th
        see botttom of table dom7[7]=1,3,5,b7

So for example G Major dom7 = G,B,D,b(F#) => G,B,D,F

I found this mode stuff very confusing at first, but as sxpoet said
        the mode just dictates which note (4th note = 4th degree) of the scale to begin with.
        Major scales are the Ionian mode and Minor scales are the Aeolian mode.
        So if we wanted to be posh we could say I’m playing B Aeolian instead of B minor scale.

john
        Keymaster

Thanks for the scale/mode table. I notice on the guitar fret board the A minor is almost like the major C cord. A minor, the pure minor, C A E, and the D minor 7th is almost like F major with notes F C A D. And so on with all the Aeolian modes. Even though my primary instrument is not the guitar I’m so familiar with the I IV and V chords they translate right over to the horn. 6 notes down from the I chord i.e. I note on the horn is the Aeolian mode (minor) and three steps before the I (Ionian) is that same minor.

john
          Keymaster

@William, yes when in the key of A major and you have a D7 you play a C natural even tho the C in the A major is sharp.

yes, when you see a #4 or # anything you just braise that note a half tone. sharp 4′;s are the most common in a lot of musical styles.
            In rock guitarists use it a LOT. listen to The Who playing Pinball Wizzard, the entire guitar intro is going from the #4 to regular major back and forth. that’s the sound of the #4 in a nutshell. as for improvising, you can create some tension by using it correctly because it’s not part of the chordal notes.

john
            Keymaster

Thanks Johnny. Re dominant 7th chords I know the 7th note in the Chord/scale is lowered half step. I’m back on track. Regarding modes, and melody, and improv. my former sax teacher from years gone by would spurt out…stay off of my note. Looks like the comments and responses are not showing up on the forum

john
              Keymaster

How to play two dotted slurred 8th notes

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.