Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Piano Red-Jump Man Jump–very simple licks/riffs being played=great playing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey guys,
      Is this one super-cool tune or what?!? This hits me really, really well 🙂 Definately going to put this on my ‘to-do” list, will get a backing track made for it. I LOVE this stuff as Johnny’s Killer Blues/how to Improvise like this has got me totally hooked on this stuff. And one thing I have learned from Johnny is the following: When we first starting getting into this kind of playing/Improvising, I think the biggest mistake/misconception that we may is that is has to be technical or complicated to sound good…it is exactly the opposite. Listen closely to the licks/riffs that he’s playing (not sure whose playing the Sax here) I think I’m hearing Blues in C being played here; someone please correct me if I’m wrong on that. There’s nothing complicated about the licks/riffs in this song. When the comes to Improvising like this and if we’re struggling for ideas, I think the best approach is to just keep it simple. When I think about just keeping it simple, then I have found the ideas start coming to my head.

Bill Mecca
      Participant

trying to find the sidemen, sounds a bit like Red Prysock, or Frank Culley, but there were a lot of Honkers.

Found a credit list on one of his compilation albums…Listed on saxophone, Big Al Sears, Andrew L. Goodrich,D. Hudson Jr. Albert J. “Bud” Johnson, L. Johnson (alto), Alonzo “Buddy” Lucas, Charlie O’Kane. If I had to bet, I would say Big Al Sears, there is one note he bends in there that smacks me in the head saying “you’ve heard me before.”

Bill Mecca
        Participant
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.