Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Pick up the pieces on alto and recording question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott Gumbiner
    Participant

Hi All,

First, thanks Johnny for pulling all of this incredible material together!

This is my first time trying to record myself, by myself. I know there is a lot to learn, but with almost no experience with garage band, I was able to record, edit, and post this all from my iPhone and a Shure MV88 mic that plugs right in the iPhone. All done easily with virtually no set up time. I’m just amazed that all of this was able to be done with something that fits in my pocket! I will polish the song up on my next go around when my better Recording equipment arrives….which brings me to my question.

I bought a focusrite 2i2 3rd generation for my analog to USB connection. It says it comes with an upgraded pre amp, but should I still purchase a separate pre amp?
      I also purchase a Shure PGA98 mic that clips on my saxophone. Besides those 2 things, the focusrite USB audio interface and the new Shure mic, is there anything else I should be purchasing to make decent quality recordings?

If anyone wants to listen to my recording on my Alto of pick up the pieces and offer any feedback on the recording or playing end, I’d be most appreciative to receive it.

Thanks again!

john
      Keymaster

Scott, first of all, congratulations! You did a simple thing which is one of the best things we can do to improve, and that’s to start recording yourself. Yes you can share and get feedback etc but most importantly you can start really listening to yourself which is something we can’t do as well while we are playing.

Speaking of listening to yourself, you need to bring up your sax in the mix. I can hear it but barely.
        What I do is put my mixes side-by-side with other professional mixes of either the same song or something very close and try to make my mix sound as close to the other one as I can. The sax in a mix can be compared to a lead vocal as far as where it sits in the mix because it is the lead instrument, just like a lead vocal.

BTW you played that tune quite well from what I heard…good timing, well on the solo (which is not an easy one to do!

as for more recording gear…no! It can be a never-ending hobby to improve everything from mics to hardware.
        I’m not familiar with the Shure models you mentioned but a mic will give you the biggest bang for your buck far as sound quality in your existing setup. (I would keep away from small clip-on mics for recording).

The preamp question depends on what that upgraded preamp in the Focusrite is. It’s possible ypu go and buy a seperate preamp and it’s no better than what you already have in that unit. Especially if you’re looking at one’s under $1000.

I would just stick with what you have for a while anyway….sounding good…..just turn up the sax!

Mike Potter
        Participant

Wow, great playing Scott! Johnny nailed it, need to bring up your sax in the mix (I have the same issue when I mix down tunes), other than that keep recording and posting!

Scott Gumbiner
          Participant

Great, thanks so much Johnny and Mike! Much appreciated!

I’ll remix with brining my sax up.

Also, the Shure Mic I bought is unfortunately a clip on. Luckily I can return it.

Is there a recording mic you would recommend for under $200?

Thanks again!

Scott

john
            Keymaster

I used an AKG C1000 for the last 7 or 8 years on every song video I did. It’s just in the last few months that I got a more expensive mic.
              It’s a Nuemann priced around $2000 and yes it is much better than the AKG, that’s why I finally upgraded but the AKG has a lot going for it. It’s a small diaphragm mic (as opposed to a large diaphragm) but still very good for sax. I would tweek the EQ slightly to get what I wanted….with my new mic I don’t touch the EQ anymore.

They are well under $300 new so you can find a used one for well under $200 I would think.

Mike Potter
              Participant

I just picked up an inexpensive Sterling ST170 active ribbon mic that sounds great, under $200. I was using an AKG 420 condenser (no longer made) and it was okay. I like the Sterling much better. Would be nice to have a Neumann!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.