Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Altissimo Course progress

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

hey Guys – haven’t seen any activity in here?
      i’m still working on the 2nd overtones exercise – i practice the altissimo stuff every day up to the 2nd tones exercise as part of a warmup routine.

Is anyone else working the altissimo course?

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Nice to see you working so hard on those Overtone exercises JB…keep at it and I can assure that the rewards are huge. How’s it coming along for you?
        I work on Johnny’s exercises in this course every single time I practice. This September will mark 1 year that I’ve been playing in the Altissimo range, but there’s a big difference in being able to hit Altissimo notes v.s. using them freely, at will/full control, in our playing, so for me it’s something I have to stay on consistently. We can never become too good at Johnny’s exercises…if I don’t do Johnny’s exercises in my practice sessions, I don’t feel the same in the sense that I don’t feel that my practices are as “meaningful” I guess you could say. For me, what helped me start breaking the ice so to say was Johnny’s exercises on Subtones, especially in the lower register. It requires so much from our diaphragm to play those low notes so quietly, smoothly.

Anonymous

fine mike – no probs, i’m reworking the overtone exercises to hit those high overtones. But i use the 1st 3 exercises as a daily warm up routine.

ppp 30db
          pp 40db
          p 50db
          mp 60db
          mf 70db
          f 80db
          ff 90db
          fff 100db

if you get an ap for measuring sound levels, the above is a good guide to see if you are really playing the volumes correctly.

I know a lot of people bought the altissimo course, and was wondering how they have progressed? you seem to be the only person that talks about it😎

Michael Bishop
          Participant

I know of, at least 2 other members, who are starting to play in the Altissimo range. They have put posts about it before in other sections of Johnny’s forum v.s. putting it here. One of those Members, Jake, put it in a video; here’s that video below. There was also a lot of Members who jumped on Johnny’s new Improvisation course too, but haven’t heard anyone commenting on it lately either. I will be looking to get in his new course in time to come, but right now my Improvisation revolves around Blues/Rock….his new Improvisation course isn’t running away anywhere LOL I would love to jump in his new course, but it would work against me; not just because of time but also it’s a completely different type of Improvisation than what I’m learning right now. For me, i’ts much better to focus on one thing at a time, get it all good under my belt so to say, and then I can move on to something else. That’s what I did with Johnny’s Altissimo course…I really wanted to start working on Killer Blues at the same time I was going through the Altissimo course, but it would have been too much information for me to take in all at one time. I’m always the kind of person that seems to be 1-2 steps behind the pace of everyone else, but there’s a lot to be gained from taking the time that we need, individually, to learn everything the right way and finish what we started.
            In the video below, Jake hits an Altissimo A note, that’s a very good for him for sure! 🙂

Anonymous

come on guys – there must be other people out there doing the altissimo course or completed it – i’d like to hear your comments as well??

has it worked for you? or are you still working on it? Or have you given up? There no shame in commenting, like JF say’s its not a race! we all move at different speeds!

john
              Keymaster

I know quite a few have got on the course, I have gotten private messages and emails regarding it. I guess not everyone wants to share on the public forum though. It would benefit more people if there was more sharing I agree.

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Absolutely….it’s so much fun/encouraging to watch other’s progress. I was a little timid/scared to share it with anyone–I was so super excited but at the same time I was in a little bit of denial in the sense that it was hard to believe that it was actually happening LOL I still get a big smile in thinking about hitting those high notes for the first time….super-fun experience 🙂

Anonymous

yeah – i’ve noticed quite a lot of people have bought the altissimo course over the months since it came out, i guess they must prefer their own privacy – but the more people that talk about their experiences with it benifits all JF’s hard work and gets it out there and increases sales – as this is a fantastic course that works.

Dazza
                    Participant

Hey folks….I am working through the altissimo skills and getting some good tone on the various intervals but am not likely to squeeze out a G alt any time soon! Don’t matter how I try to make adjustments on pressure, shape or position of my embrouchure it just dies when I go from f, F# then dead!. JF – would stepping up a reed size to 3 from 21/2 be helpful. I am playing on the Meyer 5 with a Rico Royal 21/2. Is the principle that the higher you go the easier the Alt notes are but the low notes become more difficult.

Dazza
                      Participant

Sorry…by intervals I meant the overtones on Bb.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 40 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.