Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Question about Growling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I started working on growling with a G note (like you recommended on your the video here on the home page) and it feels really rough on my throat; does this mean I’m using too much of my throat or is this just something that like everything else will get better the more I practice it? I hold a nice, even-sounding G without growling–the exercises you teach to play long notes has really helped me–but once I try growling it sounds like some kind an animal out in the wild. This feels like it’s one of those things that is going to take me a little longer to get to sound right; not as easy as it looks. Thanks Johnny!

john
      Keymaster

It might be good to sound like an animal out in the wild…sometimes.
        It may be a combination of the 2 things you say… using too much maybe and it is something that can take a little getting used to., try backing off a bit and see how it goes.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Yeah…that sounds better! I backed off a bit and sounds better but feels awkward; which is to be expected right now. I shared the video of you doing Peter Gunn on my facebook page and everyone of my friends was like “now that, is a sax player!”

john
          Keymaster

If you think about it, Adolph Sax didn’t intent for the instrument to be growled into. It’s a weird thing, but nice for us rock and roll fans.
            What I’m saying it’s not very natural as far as blowing into your horn so we have to experiment and figure it out on our own. Each embouchure is different and certainly gimmicks like growling are going to work different for everybody. If your throat starts hurting you are doing too much though.

Oh, thanks for the share on facebook! It’s nice to know that your non-sax player friends appreciated it!

Michael Bishop
            Participant

That makes a lot of sense; thanks Johnny. I’m working on it; I’m getting there; purchasing the 4 beginner’s backtrack/sheet music songs tomorrow. I knew that video of you doing Peter Gunn would hit home with my friends on facebook, they saw it and we’re like “ooohhh! That hits the bone marrow” Sweet!

Andrew Gibson
              Participant

I’m having some problems with growling also. I’m getting the flutter tongue okay.

I have tried growling into the mouthpiece before producing sound, but as soon as the tone sounds the growl stops. I suppose, as Johnny says we each have to work out our own embouchures.

It’s something I will continue to practise, as the sound Johnny gets is just so amazing!

Michael Bishop
                Participant

The sound Johnny has only comes with time, experience, and lots of practice. I’ve gotten a little bit better at growling, but still having some problems with my flutter tongue. It will come in time. That song he did for the old Peter Gunn show, you can see the difference growling made in that particular song–it really added a lot to it. Sure, you could have played that song without growling but it wouldn’t have had the same appeal as it does with growling. Gotta love it!

john
                  Keymaster

Some people have a big problem getting the flutter tongue because rolling the R’s is very difficult for some.
                    For the growl, as I say in the lesson video, you literally need to growl in your throat and make it come out of the horn.
                    There will need to be some embouchure adjustment because growling is changing a lot from normal blowing. The adjustments you make are your own, practice and experiment until something seems to change for the better and then go with it from there.

Andrew Gibson
                    Participant

I had an unintended break from practising for a few days, and when I picked up the sax yesterday, I could growl !! I noticed it worked easier when I relaxed my jaw; now I just need to get it to work at the right time with the music!

Troy
                      Participant

In all music, singing or playing, everything works better when you’re relaxed. 🙂 Plus, it’s supposed to be fun! Sometimes in our pursuit of new skills we forget that.

For the growl, this helped me: Without the sax, take a sip of water and gargle with it. Now, take the gargle down to just a really gentle buzz. Now, try it without the water. And don’t try to make a loud sound! Relax, repeat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.