Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Question about the Fiber Carbon Guardalas

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi Johnny,

Does the Winslow ligature you using for your standard MBI fit the Carbon Fiber Guardala for Tenor? (It looks like you’re using the Winslow in Besame Mucho). We’re you using the Carbon Fiber Reed with Carbon Fiber Guardala in the video? Nice, full, fat sound here 🙂

john
      Keymaster

yup, the winslow has fit all my guardalas

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Oh man, that’s awesome to know. I’ve had a really good ‘feeling, intuition, etc.’ about that particular MP every since Nadir released it. I had planned on getting it, just never got around to it/when everything happened to me. I don’t get along with metal MPs that well. Everyone whose heard me play on metal vs ebonite MPs says I sound much better on Ebonite. For me, Ebonite has always been easier to control and it gave me more flexibility–ballads to Altissimo, getting a fat ‘Grover Washington” type of sound, etc.. When I played with the Blues Society-which I plan on doing again-a metal MP was not a good idea in some of the settings we played in…..too ‘loud’ LOL My wife/family also has preferred me to use Ebonite MPs around the house…you can imagine why LOL That Guardala doesn’t have a sharp-faced beak on the MP either, perfect for me. Don’t know if you remember, but I used to have a Studio-Cut Guardala. Even though it came from Amazon, it still wasn’t that bad and it felt great in my mouth…..I don’t imagine it was anywhere near the quality of Nadir’s work?

A few other questions about this MP: When you get the chance, could you find out what the size of the tip openings are for the 7* and 8* for Tenor? (I’ve always done best with an MP that has a tip opening of around .117). Have you tried Cane reeds with this MP before? I’ve always used cane reeds, but it seems like these reeds will provide me with more consistency? Less time dealing with a Cane reed means more practice time 🙂 The Carbon Fiber reeds sounds really nice and seems like it’s good for all around playing, but the Hemp reed seems like it’s better suited when I do need to go bigger and louder? Sorry for the questions, but I would be looking to get this MP sometime this spring. Thanks for your help 🙂

RockinRobin
          Participant

Michael: The Jody Jazz tip opening chart says the 7* tip opening is 105 and the 8* is 115. I have a fiber carbon fat boy 7* and 8*. I was trying to blow Misty in sub tones. I couldn’t blow any sub tones with the 7* using an onyx reed medium, my favorite reed. I tried with my MBII fatboy. I couldn’t blow the fatboy. The only mouthpiece I can blow is my Theo Wanne 7* slant Sig 2. I used various ligatures. I finally ended with a rover lig and my slant Sig 2 tip opening 7*. Looks like I regressing with my sax. I want to play misty using sub tones

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Hey William–I knew about the size of Jody Jazz tips openings, but don’t know what the tip openings are for Carbon Fiber Guardalas. The Jody Jazz line of MPs are very versatile. Have you tried any of the Guardalas with Cane reeds?

RockinRobin
              Participant

Yep, I used to use cane reeds. I find the onyx reeds reliable, dependable, consistent. So I use the carbon onyx reeds Medium and some times medium soft. I also have a couple carbon fiber reeds. All for tenor sax. The Guardalas that I have have a wider tip openning, wider than 105 but the baffle is higher which makes them plowable. I suppose I like the Slant sig 2 because it fits in my mouth better than the Guardalas

RockinRobin
                Participant
                  john
                  Keymaster

subtones aren’t easy most of the time. I cheat a lot by glissing down to those real low notes or else I usually don’t hit em right on.
                    I also know I can change my set up and make them easier but….

RockinRobin
                    Participant

Thanks Johnny. Guess I’ll try glissing on down every now and then

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.