Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Red Prysock

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mel
    Participant

Been listening to this guy on Spotify. Good stuff!

Anonymous

Hi Mel, this video doesn’t work for us, but here’s four which do.

jak Swift
        Participant

WAY TO GO GUYS !!!! If I really had to call a maim man , it would be ole Wilburt…( yup, I’d want to be called Red too !! ).
          He is a ferocious player. The thing about these tunes is they are deceptive. Right now I’m doing a few R&R trans. ” Hand Clappin ” is the Red Prysock study and much like ” flying Home ” .. If you don’t really push it…it ain’t gonna happen fast. I got a ” talking to ” at rehearsal the other night.
          My walking tenorsax Bass lines were sluggish. Can’t blame the link \ 10 M. Would be easy to say…” Oh yeah, it has that warm spread…”.
          Last coupla days, twelve bar with passing tones in all keys. Bari then tenor. My chops are shot…😕

Mel
          Participant

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Good stuff here guys–love Red Prysock 🙂 Here’s my favorite Red Prysock tune “Purple Wail” 🙂

jak Swift
              Participant

OH YEAH….😊. Good call Michael. Hope its all good man….

Michael Bishop
                Participant

Yes, it’s all good for me 🙂 I’ve been involved with things here and have been so, so busy..didn’t realize it was going to be this busy. I haven’t even gotten around to getting Johnny’s new releases of the Chicken Shack, Honeydripper, etc.. I’ve got the Guardala Carbon Fatboy on my list and will be getting it as soon as I can, probably won’t happen until the fall or so as our family budget for the Summer doesn’t allow me to do a lot of extra things. I’ve thought about looking into some of the Fiber Reeds as I’m getting tired of always having to adjust my Cane reeds. Here in the South with all of the humidity, cane reeds can play like a totally different reed from 1 day to the next.

jak Swift
                  Participant

Good to speak at last Michael. Another busy man, is it Jeff who is putting a new roof on his house..? Pretty sure. So the humid south is playing havoc with your reeds. I can imagine. My choice of reeds I talk about enough, not good to promote them.

Its good to have touched base with somebody else who is doing the backing tracks. How are you getting on Michael ? I have roughly ten . Chicken Shack I do have , Honeydripper I don’t. I’m tempted but I’ve also just come into a stack of books, transcriptions, the bulk of it R & R \ B. I have a terrible habit of half finishing something, and then …” I’ll just take a glance at this one. Before you know it …a roomful of half finished blues…SORRY JF😉..!! Right now ” pieces “, ” us and them ” and ” use me ” are 99% done. The Jr Walker number, I can never remember the name….the one with a stack of altissimo Gs …guess you could say that’s getting there, dependant on the altissimo. So yeah, overtones Michael and the stack of dots; that’s me right now.

I have to say, if your moving through these backing tracks at a rate; you must be a fine player Sir. They are not easy stuff. Great stuff, but not easy☺

jak Swift
                    Participant

Great track choice also. Only short but man could ole Red blow fierce. Half the neighborhood have just had a sample😇…..out of curiosity Michael, or any body else…do you play ” Honky Tonk “….( played by Bill Dogett amongst others I think..? ). I only ask because for years I’ve been playing a relatively simple theme. When you see the dots, and mine are a little confusing ( guitar parts etc )…man that tune wanders all over the place. First 32 bars roughly….?

Michael Bishop
                      Participant

Good points there Jak–I don’t know about me being a fine player LOL I do have fun though and that’s what it’s all about 🙂 I haven’t gotten around to learning Honky Tonk yet but it’s on my to-do list. I’m one of those people who struggles with the flutter tongue, it’s really tricky to pull off. I have no problems growling but with Honky Tonk growling wouldn’t sound quite the same, would still be fun to play though. I’m trying to make more of a concentrated effort to be on here more, I used to be on here all the time and just have been so busy/side tracked with projects, local stuff, etc.. If it weren’t for Johnny, there would be no Saxophone playing for me–he got me started into all of this Blues/Altissimo thing! The Honeydripper and the Chicken Shack are about playing the blues–and that’s my love on the Saxophone 🙂 With those 2 songs there’s a lot you can uses–Blues Scales, Pentatonic Scales, etc..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.