Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    jak Swift
    Participant

Well, I just took a look at the various sheet downloads. Musescore do a ” kinda”…..
      Various others do lean toward a minim based structure. Hey….I tried my best. The important thing is that you keep at it Jeff…
      Nice one !!

jak Swift
      Participant

So, without software, drum machine just memory. I’m determined to make this rhythmically correct. Its been a long long time since I’ve had to do this. To say I’m rusty would be an understatement.

I’m going to use the ” old terms” ( crotchet , quaver, etc ) rather than the more modern system of whole note, half note ( minim ), quarter note ( crotchet ) etc.
        My timing was off.
        Here goes….
        Crotchet crotchet, quaver, crotchet, quaver over bar line to quaver, quaver two semi quavers, quaver tied to crotchet, two semi quavers, quaver tied to dotted crotchet….
        I’m doing this lying on the bed just tapping my feet to keep time….and…..
        Is it right ?? Judging from the glances at the sheets, probably not. Does it make sense ?
        If I were scribbling it down as a template, to a song I already know; i would have to say I’d be happy with it. Sure, its a lot easier to download the sheets; go out and buy them. Its a good mental exercise in phonetic rhythm.

Ta Ta ti ta aa ti ta ( flat a sound ) ti fe tee ti fe tee ee

Shine on you crazy diamond….( ba ba bah ).
        Thanks Jeff; I hope this makes sense. Apologies for working it out on the fly; but yeah; a great exercise in speaking out the rhythm.
        Remembering the lines , spaces, ledger lines is not difficult. Its the rhythm that gets us most. This phonetic method we learned at college. You can make a set of flash cards. Each card has a note, a rest. Increasing in difficulty, you turn over the cards in time to a metronome; speaking the rhythms out loud.
        Its an awfully long time since I’ve done this. Again, its a template that makes phonetic sense. For the simplest route, yeah download the dots. Thanks for your time. It took a while but I hope you are getting a sense of what I’m trying to convey.
        Have a great evening..,
        NB….No triplets. ( again its been a long time; hope it makes sense !!

saxomonica
        Participant

Hi Jeff, Mark here, newbie, mate it’s a fantastic air and a track i adore too! My earful feedback is between about 20 – 40 s on the recording the tounging, legato statacco or whatever it is called sounds a tiny bit discordant therein and you get a bit tremolous and throaty off track with the high notes; so i reckon you may just simply need to put some headphones on and jam along with the CD yelling from your guts a heap more with some more confidence hey because you are in fact doing a good job. A mighty job is what we want to hear ‘though, do we not? Maybe you could break it down into a coupla smaller passages as well and go over each of those components ten times over say, by ear and not sightreading, whap ba ba daa da. Xcellent – you inspire me, wish i had a tenth of your skill, you’re lucky to have Jac there with heapsa good points in his critique especially pertaining to some kinda backing, looking very much forward to the next few takes in the progression, howz about posting that next week being with your kind indulgence, cheers 🙂

jak Swift
          Participant

5.30 am….and its still wrong.
            Finally…crotchet, doted crotchet, quaver ( RPT )
            quaver, two semi quavers tied to crotchet….
            two semi quavers tied to dotted crotchet….
            Goodnight !! LOL !!

jak Swift
            Participant

Morning , I couldn’t sleep knowing this was wrong.
              Apologies, I tried to convey a phonetic method for working out rhythms on the go.
              Better you just download the sheets, its been too long.
              Not to worry, I hope you get the jist….
              Safe & Happy week….jak

Anonymous

Hi Jak, yesterday afternoon after reading your reply, I practiced playing through ‘Shine’ a few times, also other pieces I’m working on. I kept thinking about your comment regarding ‘blowing through the horn’ and that made a noticeable difference to my tone straight away. Beverly even asked me, “What are you doing different now?” I’ve been playing my Alto for four years, constantly looking for tips and advice. I was wondering where am I going wrong, and why is my tone still weak etc. Not having a teacher or skilled musician to get feedback from is a major problem, because the guys I know here are learners like me.

Floyd’s music is very rich with effects, so perhaps I was aiming too high in trying to make it into a shorter version, without the knowledge of making backtracks. I still have to learn the skill of working through these tunes as you do, by breaking it down to the rhythms in your head. That will be a good place for me to begin.

The ability to be able to post a tune on Johnny’s website and for other musicians to comment, is a major blessing. Anyone that may notice something specific about a performance should comment on it, as it may just be the problem which is bugging that person the most.

Timing is something I’m now paying closer attention to, as that is something which doesn’t require expensive additional software or equipment.

Thanks again Jak, your detail comments have been very helpful, and thanks to Johnny for creating this opportunity for us to learn and develop our skill.

Anonymous

Hi Saxo, I’ve only just read your post as the page 2 posts have been hidden away for quite a while. Thanks for your comments. The beauty of posting comments on a forum is that everyone can read and learn from them. I’m sure all beginners will study what Jak has posted and pay attention to those points in their own playing. I’ve seen from my uploads that the readers to comments ratio is about 40 to 1. Who knows how many people benefit from these teaching posts?

saxomonica
                  Participant

G’day @Jeff
                    (Bm) hel-lo Is there an-y-bo-dy (A) in there? just nod if you can (G Em) hear me is there (Bm) an-yone at home?
                    Heck yeah it’s manifest the site pages are in the groove now, and Tech savvy with the new ‘Howdy whatsyaname’ top RHS being pretty handy.
                    Thinkin’ you’re so right it helps so much when you can break the tunes down and hear them in your head, “the times change and we change with them”
                    Who knows how many people benefit from these teaching posts? Who knows how long is a piece of string ..
                    🙂

Anonymous

To the nearest nanometre? It’s exactly the precise distance measured from one end tuther – LOL

I watched the sax-coffin video. It sounds just like it is enclosed in something – no surprises there. I could never use one of these devices on a sunny day here, because my hands run with perspiration normally. A box of cheap earplugs for the family and neighbours may be a more cost effective solution? On the other hand learning to play softly doesn’t tax the wallet, but it took me years to be able to do that. Cheers

saxomonica
                      Participant

So @Jeff here’s a little down under dance tune for ya alto that’ll maybe keep knots of marauding aussies beating a path to your door haha!
                        Used to play blues harmonica, later i switched to button accordion (melodeon) to keep the noise down, i’ve had mobs of ’em, 3, 2, single row, all press notes are same as blow on the harp, people still used to bitch about the noise ‘though, hey wonderin’ mate if you have any tips for low volume on the sax? i can’t get it happening ..
                        Can hear some trax peoples playing on sax ‘n even with Johnny sometimes a kinda “pthh” sound as they start off low but i can’t get it and maintain tone..
                        cheers ‘eh good buddy

https://www.8notes.com/scores/20929.asp

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.