Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Shot Gun

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

Shot Gun
      Still working on a Shot Gun improv. I have the pentatonic scale and the Shot Gun melody and GarageBand. I thought about it today and hummed a few bars. Maybe this week or the next I’ll have something

john
      Keymaster

Great to hear that William.

RockinRobin
        Participant

I was improvising along Shot Gun trying to keep up with the backing track, long backing track. I missed most of the notes i.e. blew a natural instead of a flat and vice versa. Made up my own riffs trying to keep up with the backing track. I recorded it on GarageBand to check out the sound. Sounded OK but not good enough to post yet. When I’m playing, improvising I’m thinking too much. Too cognitive. You have to know before you blow. Keeping the beat is a feeling thing, not a cognitive thing. So I’ll be working on Shot Gun for a while. It moves fast, too fast for thinking. You have to feel it to play it. Know before Blow.

RockinRobin
          Participant

I have a shorter backing track so I won’t have think too much now, just play without thinking; just blow what I know before I blow.

john
            Keymaster

right track William. If it feels long and hard to keep up then refer back to less notes. The ultimate goal hear is to utilize the full pentatonic scale but go at your own pace… refer back to 2 and 3 and then 4 notes until you feel you’re not being overwhelmed or rushed.

RockinRobin
              Participant

I can play the first 8 bars plus the intro bar – rest rest F Db…etc. easy. I have the long version backing track and I’ll get on it tomorrow with a steady rocking riff or riffs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.