Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video "Tequila" More Live Stage Footage From My Tour

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Charlie Vash
    Participant

I know I still have a lot to learn. I have only been playing sax for 66 years and I have recorded lots of jobs with a small recorder.

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Hi Charlie,
        That’s great to hear…by all means post a video for us in the Members’ Saxophone video section, it’s always great to watch/listen to other players.

wayne wojnarowski
        Participant

Hey Charlie do you play Tenor ,Alto, or both what’s shaken ? I mess around on alto but believe it or not I’m actually a drummer, this is a cool site, share the knowledge lets get some cyber jams going!

Dazza
          Participant

Yes please Charlie. Post something from your catalogue of vast experience so we dont draw the incorrect conclusion from your posts. Would love to see some videos of your playing and hear some of your insights.

Anonymous

knockout roll over blues brothers!

Jazz Cat
              Participant

great job, Johnny – you played it perfectly; nailed all the notes & growls like a champ…well done 🙂

Tim56
                Participant

Charlie: 66 years? I would think you could keep up with Johnny? This is live,,, not a recording studio! My mom told me, if I have something to say, be nice. This is one of the great Tenor players alive today! He can do it all! I have had lessons and we have done many different tunes to work on many parts of playing. OI guess I have to get off my rear end and record? Please check out jazzforfun.com I have taken lessons from Max. Johnny has heard me and so has Mike. Max says my tone is outstanding! Huh, I say! Here’s the deal! I don’t like it one bit for you to post negative about this great player! Tim

Anonymous

when someone starts a new post in a forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion – you tube has a thumbs up or thumbs down choice.

But the person who starts the post is ususally more interested in feed back to his/her post and less interested in reading feed back about the feed back of other peoples comments.

my mum used to say the same thing – if you don’t have anything nice to say, then hold your tongue.

Dazza
                    Participant

So back on topic 🙂 JF – if you aren’t wearing earphones (i assume you aren’t) how do you hear the band clearly enough and for that matter how do you hear exactly what you are playing over the top of the noise in the room. I guess one of the foldback speakers is primarily you but you do move around a bit as well. Is is a better idea for us that we practice without headphones so we train ourselves to play live if that’s what some of us are hoping to achieve.

john
                      Keymaster

@Dazza, there is no noise in the room, it’s a very well controlled stage environment. there are 7 people on stage with 7 seperate monitors with a seperate mix for each person.
                        our sound checks went from around 4:30 to 6 every day. each person requires different things in their monitor so they spend time with the monitor engineer getting all the instruments they want in their mix. the drummer normally will have a bit of everybody otherwise he couldn’t hear much. the singers up front will generally have their own voice along with the other singers voices but mixed lower than their own.
                        personally I only had the sax in my monitor cause I could hear all the other instruments fine. I could have it as loud as I wanted and since it was in front of me it came thru just great. as for moving around, yes, I do that a lot and some venues will have side fills which are monitor speakers set up at the sides of the stage, pointing to the middle so when I walk out front I’m there. usually there aren’t side fills and so I rely on the main house system which is usually hanging right over the stage up front and since I’m soloing when I walk up front my sax is pretty loud in the mix so I can hear it pretty good. nothing is like the personal monitor that sits in front of me but that’s the price you pay for moving around.

regarding those in-ear monitors…
                        I tried them once and couldn’t stand them. they do work in that they make you hear yourself but everything else is blocked off so I miss the other sounds, feels kind of claustrophobic, acoustically speaking.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.