Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire The Shadows.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Carl Robinson
    Participant

As a young guitarist I was brought up on the Shadows as Dad loved em, and always had them on. Now I’m learning Saxophone I’m thinking some of their tracks would be suited to Sax. Here’s two tracks that I think boogie along nicely.
      Foot tapper-great little melody—https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X5srSF4SIY
      Dance on–another infectious little tune—https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_5FCKzOQVc

Thanks Dad, I never got tired of playing Apache for you.

john
      Keymaster

Ya Carl good stuff. I love em too like the ventures and Johnny and the hurricanes….there’s a few and although guitar is the surf instrument sax DOES fit. I did Hawaii five-o, Wild Weekend, and Walk Don’t Run so check those out on sax if you haven’t already.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

a lot of excellent backing tracks on this website, not just aimed at novices like me, but also aimed at seasoned players, with a very wide selection of tracks to choose from.

Carl Robinson
            Participant

Walk don’t run had some great little hooks and riffs mate, but your Sleepwalk is the Dogs Bollocks (trust me that’s good lol)

john
              Keymaster

yes I forgot about sleepwalk, thanks Carl!

john
                Keymaster

I just downloaded “Sleepwalk” and I listed to Johnny play Sleepwalk while I followed along looking at the sheet music.I noticed some extra notes/grace notes inserted here and there. Are these the little hooks and riffs Carl might be referring to. I had to google that term “Dogs Bollocks”

john
                  Keymaster

I get bollocks cause I have some English buddies, although since living in Canada they don’t use it as much.
                    Hey William, not sure what Carl meant by hooks and riffs but I call them embellishments or ornaments (ornamentation). It’s a huge part of my playing as you can hear in every song. Also wanted to tell you guys that I plan doing a lesson video on that sunject very soon.

Anonymous

A hook is a musical phrase that stands out and is easily remembered. Hooks are often repetitive and they usually grab our attention. They are often said to be what makes a song popular with listeners.

A riff is a series of notes, a chord pattern or a musical phrase that is repeated. Riffs may form the introduction to a song and are often repeated throughout.

Carl Robinson
                      Participant

Look forward to that Johnny.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.