Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons Thoughts?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    saxomonica
    Participant
      saxomonica
      Participant

“Something”? Anythink? 🙂

https://chordify.net/search/johnny%20ferreira

Anonymous

on the 1st play through of any music sheet, just highlight each Bar or Phrase that you played out of time with a metronome.

Then just practice all the highlighted Bars or highlighted Phrases.

After that, start playing through the whole sheet.

Then and only then, start practicing with the backing track, don’t waste time practicing with a backing track, until you can play the music sheet in time with a metronome. (takes a lot of stress off you😁)

Mel
          Participant

Never tried starting backward so I couldn’t knock it til I tried it. sx poet gave some good advise. I always concentrate on the phrase or bar I stumble on many times til I have it right. For me, nothing worse playing and stumbling at the same spot over and over.

Anonymous

Starting backwards mainly works for practicing difficult phrases, and is a commonly used by a lot of pro’s.

If you imagine a phrase consisting of say 12 notes, when you play the whole phrase it tends to have a natural feeling of ending on the last note.

If you start by working from the begging of the phrase and practice getting say the first 4 notes in time etc, it sort of hangs in the air when you get to playing the 4th note and the start of the phrase doesn’t feel complete.

compared to starting by practicing notes 9,10,11,12 those 4 notes make that part come to a natural sounding end, then practice doing notes 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12. When you can do that, then practice notes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12.

When you start by just practicing notes 1,2,3,4 your mind can get frustrated because it wants to hear the complete phrase – it’s similar to some one talking to you and they stop mid sentence, and you sit there saying “well go on, don’t leave us in suspense”

Anonymous

Another great tip to help work on improving timing.

When you use a metronome, only let it beep on the 1st Beat of a bar.
                ex in 4/4 timing let the metronome Beep on the the 1st beat and be Silent on Beats 2,3,4.

When you practice the music sheet, count in your head one, two, three, four. Every time you count ‘One’ in your head, make sure it matches the ‘One’ Beep on the metronome.

You’ll be surprised at how counting 1,2,3,4 in your head is out of syc with a metronome. If you rely on having to hear metronome Beats 2,3 & 4 when playing a music sheet, thats the equivalent of riding a three wheel bicycle instead of a two wheel bicycle or walking with crutches.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.