Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Timing issues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Started work on my timing issues related to backing tracks, working with a metronome is less of an issue,
      but the backing tracks i have serious issues

Jeezz – i’m having real problems playing with backing tracks, and i get this e-mail

Hey Sxpoet. I heard the song you uploaded the other day. Really liked what I heard. I am actually a talent agent for NextGen Promotions and I’d like in helping you get your music greater exposure. I think you could really grow your following. Send me an email and we will talk more about this: talent2@nextgenpromotion.com

been working on this simple track for less than half an hour, cutting back down to the real simple basics

ignore the sound quality, its the timing i’m trying to improve

john
      Keymaster

way better. compared to the last things this was almost perfect as far as timing.
        what’s weird is you picked something to play over that has no drums only piano so for me anyway, this makes the whole exercise harder!

Anonymous

Thanks, it feels really strange focusing in on the timing.
          What i find is some notes sound so nice, that i want them to last a lot longer than they should, but to stay in time i have to be more disciplined and force myself to move on to the next note when i dont want to.

Its a bit like having one biscuit with some coffee when you are watching your weight, and you just want to eat another biscuit, and you know you shouldn’t. That’s what trying to stay in time can be like. lol

Anyway long way to go.

Anonymous

Hi sxpoet, here’s me having a go at your busking version of Autumn Leaves.

Fetch the rake

Anonymous

Very good Jeff, i couldn’t have played it any better!

Your tone has improved a lot, compared to a year ago! Was it played on your metal mouthpiece?

I’m still practicing it from memory and with backing, but concentrating more with working through some cd timing exercises in some of my grade books.

john
              Keymaster

Timing problems. I think I’m on the wrong page. I’ve been studying Johnny’s improve course using “what does it take”. In bar 25 the D chord is called a C chord. Must be concert C because my sheet music has a D chord. I never have been able to end up on the 5 chord along with every body else. In my music the 12th bar is D. That’s the 5 chord in the G scale. Skipping the 1st 4 bars and starting on the 5th bar Am7 and counting on down 12 bars I end on the 5 chord on bar 16. I never get there with the music. I must be on the wrong page.

john
                Keymaster

William, I’ll have a look at that later….
                  what chart are you reading from?

Anonymous

Hi sxpoet, no I became tired of the silver C* and have gone back to my mellow S80. It’s like coming home! The effort I put in on the silver has paid dividends though, and I’m enjoying the tone of the S80 more than ever. I think I’ll try the silver again in about 3 months. Now that I’m comfortable with the S80, I like not having to worry about the MP and can just focus on the music.

Anonymous

Hi Jeff, for your metal mouthpiece , try some different brand reeds and sizes, as i found with my metal mouthpiece it sounds crap with the same reed i use on my rubber mouthpiece.

john
                      Keymaster

Johnny,
                        I’m studying your improv course. The sheet music you used in the course is “What Does It Take” i.e. the tracking loops are those that go with “What does it Take” The sheet music for tenor sax is in the key of G major. The 5th bar begins with Am7. The 1st four bars we ignore as they don’t go with a 12 bar blues set up. From the 5th bar beginning with the Am7 chord on down to the 16th bar ending on D which is the 5 – that’s 12 bars. Beginning with the 2 chord Am7, then the 1 chord Gmaj7 repeating 2, 1, 2, 1 on down to the 5. Could this be a two one, two one, two one five progression? I’ll go back to the beginning of your basic improv course. Thanks Johnny.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.