Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions What is the best playback device for tracks?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert Hutchinson
    Participant

What are you all using for the playback tracks? Laptop? MP3 Player? or something better?

RockinRobin
      Participant

I use my Mac iTunes library. Mac has good play backs

Keith Davidson
        Participant

i use to use my laptop but now convert everything to “wav” format and play it from a usb stick on my keyboard – works great 🙂

David Singer
          Participant

Hello All. Thought I’d start here to seek advice. My end goal is to have all backing tracks easily accessible to either perform live or perform while being recorded. Here is what I’m currently doing to accomplish this. I’ve downloaded all of my mp3 backing tracks from Johnny’s site, Hal Leonard Leonard ply along tracks, and YouTube tracks and put them in folders on my Google Drive. To create a video performance, I set up my iPhone7+ camera, on a tripod, in selfie mode and set up JBL Bluetooth, boombox style speaker as well. When ready to record I stand about 5 feet from the camera, with the speaker about 2-3 feet from right side. I next queue up the tune from the folder in my Google Drive, USING MY iPAD AIR. I then use a Bluetooth remote to start the video recoding process and then tap the audio file on my laptop. Same process to perform live, of course, is to just use the speaker.

I’m willing to moderately invest to streamline and upgrade the process so any advice is appreciated.

john
            Keymaster

I approach playing live and recording in very different ways…

when live with a speaker I use a small mixer or have a speaker with one built in. then to playback the backing tracks from an iphone I connect it to one channel of the mixer and my wireless sax system into another channel. so you only need a mixer with 2 channels for this. but it’s great because you can balance the sax with the tracks.

recording into my computer I use a different mic which is better than the wireless mic for live. It goes into a digital interface which is connected to my computer recording program. I also use either an iphone or video camera (or both) to record my performance but don’t rely on their built-in mics. I get much better sound quality this way.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.