Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation Will be starting this course soon, anyone have any experiences to share?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

thanks Dazza for the insights…and you are exactly right; keeping it simple is the best way to go. Like we we’re talking about here of being with a band and not knowing exactly what you’re going to do in your solo and how nerve wrecking it can be with about 50 people watching you; if you starting thinking them watching your or if you start thinking about playing a complicated solo then it’s just makes it all the more nerve wrecking LOL Keep it simple, it’s the best way to go. I pay $50 per hour with my new Instructor, he’s got me working on Major/minor modal exercises, Bebop articulation and Diminished Scales/chords. This past Monday for our lesson he assigned me a song to do to apply this stuff and gave me until April 1st to have it done; Moon Dance by Van Morrison. I think when it’s done I’ll go ahead and upload it for Johnny to see and he can provide some valuable insights in light of what my Instructor has me working on right now. I don’t think he expects me to have it perfect, but rather it’s it to help me learn how to play in Bebop Style in my Improvising. I love the Bebop articulation, it’s a super cool effect! But it’s not quite as easy as it looks; I’m working on it. It’s something Jazz players use a lot and with Bebop articulation we can take a normal scale and spice with up quite a bit to actually sound great v.s. playing the scales as a robotic exercise that sounds empty. If Johnny reads this post, it would be cool for him to think about posting a lesson on Bebop Articulation.

wayne wojnarowski
      Participant

Sx poet I agree I am Guilty of starting things and then putting them down, take Johnnies Pentatonic lick and play it in 2 different keys, that will get ya thinking. Mike in regards to Moon Dance I think I know some of it in alto “D” .In regards to playing out , thats why I like to go out and play in Chicago we call them OPEN MIKES, you get stuck with whoever , it teaches you how to sink or swim. Hopefully you wind up with someone who knows what their doing!!LOL NOT REALLY! The music student stopped the taxi driver in New York
        and asked “hey how do you get to Carnegie Hall?”the driver replied, “practice,practice practice”Keep it simple stupid” a wise man taught me that one!!

Anonymous

When i start a course, if for some reason i don’t get back on it due to change in priorities – i look at it as putting it on hold.

Then when i eventually get back on it, after a slight refresher i pickup from where i left off.

Sometimes i actually go right back to the beginning 3 or 4 times, its like rewatching a movie several times. Its amazing some of the things second time round that you miss – lethal weapon movies 2nd tine round i was amazed at some of the one liners i missed as i was too focused on the action!

A lot of courses not just JF’s course – i dip back in, and i often find some of the information provided doesn’t seem relevant at the time, but later on when i’ve got further on, i then realise the point being raised.

wayne wojnarowski
          Participant

So TRue sx poet!!

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.