Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions You Never Can Tell – Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Duran
    Participant

I’ve recently downloaded ‘You Never Can Tell’ and noticed a descrepancy in the sheet music vs. the recording you did. In Measures 34 through 50 the sheet music in one full octave lower than your playing. (I like your played version much better and practice that way). Not sure if you knew this already but thought I would point it out for anyone else just to be aware if they are going to get this song (or if you planned on updating it), Thank you…

john
      Keymaster

I do that all the time. jumping an octave up or down is a great thing to do to add energy to a song.
        no need to update it, you can play as written or copy what I do. the notes are the same regardless of which octave you choose.

Larry Sullivan
        Participant

Is that the case near the end of “Yesterday”. It sounds like you went up an octave, but the sheet music doesn’t indicate that ?

john
          Keymaster

right. I played the melody an octave higher. if I wrote it out most people couldn’t read and play it anyway as it goes past the highest note and into the altissimo range.

john
            Keymaster

Experimenting in different octaves is something you all should do, not just when you see it written as such.
              jumping an octave the 2nd time thru a verse or chorus (wether it’s written or not) is the best way for us to take the energy
              of the performance up a notch.

saxomonica
              Participant

Notch us up, Johnny

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.