Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory 12/8 time

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

“Happy Christmas” How do I count the first bar with that 16th note between the two last 8th notes?
      William

RockinRobin
      Participant

Re Happy Xmas; I get 11 beats in the first measure

Anonymous

Anonymous

the above book has several pages of exercises for developing better 6/8 timing techniques.

basically every group made up of three 1/8 notes is the equivalent of one metronome beat. So if you are working in 12/8 time divided the 12 by 3 which will give you 4 metronome beats.

So every time you hear a click count 123 with emphasis on the 1.

12/8 time

123 123 123 123 – count
            1 2 3 4 – click

sometimes the 1/8 note is replaced with two 1/16 notes
            ex 1/8 1/16 1/16 1/8 (da dd da)

Anonymous

working in 3/8 or 6/8 etc..
              is grade three work. ie the timing covered in the third year of anyone learning to play the sax.

my pro used words to keep in time

ex if you play a group of three 1/8 notes, say the word
              cov-ven-tre very fast instead of counting 1-2-3
              and swing it while playing.

ex if you play a group of two notes (1/4 note followed by a 1/8 note), say the word
              Deer-be very fast instead of counting 1,2-3 and swing it while playing.
              words can swing timing better than counting

RockinRobin
              Participant

Happy Xmas: lst bar dotted half rest = 5 beats followed by dotted quarter rest = 3 beats followed by a dotted triplet (2 8th notes and one 16th note). How do you count the first bar? I get 11 beats.

Anonymous

it is quite common in music sheets for the notes totalled up in the first bar to be less. If you then follow through the music sheet, quite often the last bar contains the missing note or notes. For some reason the missing rests at the start of a bar are left out and you have to count them in.

ex in 4/4 timing the first bar may only have a 1/4 note.. count 1,2,3 and play the 1/4 note.

RockinRobin
                  Participant

I know about Rubanks books. I usually break down the music to 8th notes. Happy Xmas: First bar starts with a dotted half rest: equal to 5 beats followed by dotted quarter rest. 3 beats. So far we have 8 beats. Next three notes are a dotted triplet with the middle note being a 16th note. 12 beats to a measure, 8th notes get a beat. I can find only 11 beats in the first measure

Anonymous

in 12/8 timing ie 12 beats to the bar,

lst bar dotted half rest = 5 beats followed by dotted quarter rest = 3 beats – this totals 8 beats, so you only have 4 beats left over.

remember the metronome only clicks 4 times in a bar.

so the first three clicks play nothing and on the last click play the dotted triplet

john
                      Keymaster

The half dotted quarter note rest at the very beginning has a value of 6 8th notes;
                        because the half note is worth 2 quarter beats and the dot adds another one. this equals 6.
                        That’s half the bar right there; counting in 8’s would be 123456 or counting in quarters would be 1,2 which is half the bar.
                        the 2nd half following it also has the same amount of beats.

It’s the same as bar 11, except bar 11 has an actual note instead of a rest.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.