Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone A small segment of music

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wayne wojnarowski
    Participant
      Anonymous

sounds great wayne – you’ve a good jazzy sound – not heard many players play like that. On top of that your sound has personality, hard to describe it like you have presence – some sort of magic! keep at it!

wayne wojnarowski
        Participant

Hey Sx Poet Thanks so much for your nice comment, I’ve been overwhelmed by the loss of my little french bulldog named Phoebe . My nephew had this little piano piece and asked for me to play sax to it I did but felt embarrassed . Thanks so much Peace and Love! Hey can you answer my question about the overtones?? HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Anonymous

i put a comment in the overtones section.

It works with some people to sing the pitch first. The sort of singing like when a Dr says open your mouth and say aaaaah (dont stick out your tongue just sing aaaah).

You need to sing a phrase that sounds closely like the pitch of the overtone.

for me i sing a vaaaw sound for the mid Bb and play the mid Bb and actually sing the sound through the mouthpiece while playing mid Bb, then i repeat that while trying to do the 1st overtone on the Low Bb.

you need to experiment with other sounds while trying to sing which ever overtone you want to get – aahh eeee oooo iiii etc.

I dont know how many muscles are in the tongue 15 30? , but for each sound you use a different set of muscles. When you sing an eeeeeee sound, i think thats the only where every muscle in the tongu us relaxed, it lies limp and flat on the lower teeth.

Anonymous

as you sing the eeeee sound you feel your larynx working and probably the back of the tongue moving slightly. but all the tongue muscles are relaxed, this is when you start pulling in the stomach and blowing a steady stream if air out your mouth. Sone singers sat imagine you stomach pressing against the back if you spine

wayne wojnarowski
              Participant

sxpoet thanks man here is where I’m at. I finger low Bb and after a few seconds oddly enough I’m getting the f overtone sometimes, when I get the mid Bb I hold it for a few and slide back to low Bb I can’t feel much but guess it must be my larynx right?? How do you get lots of air for sustain?? I can shift between low and mid Bb maybe 3 times before
                my stones fall off LOL. I feel the slower the better, meaning I feel more in control, I mentioned somewhere here that a s a exercise i blow starting on low Bb all the way up to f#
                as slow as I can blow on each note 4 measures each note now the tempo is the MOTHER ! My cheeks burn when I’m done and I don’t know what muscles they are but I can feel them above my teeth!In regards to what you call low d you mean the d above my low c ?? I have a alto and I can get that low d to what sounds like a A so far. Have you found in your practicing these things drives you nuts, cause man I’m bonkers after 10 min or so . I hope I’m still alive after i finally master all of these techniques so i can play something
                that sounds nice original cool you know ?? Which leads me to this question what do you practice so you can come up with cool melodic sounding music??

Anonymous

hi Wayne in the ‘general sax questions’ have a read of ‘benefits of singing’.

when i started overtones i only practiced 5 to 10 mins a day, like you say frustration is counter productive, you need to be chilled out like in yawning to relax the voice bix area. singers have the same issues.

To start out just play these things slowly

Anonymous

sorry – yeah if i say Low notes, its all the notes in the lower octave(or lower register), so low D is above low C. Fill that stomach with lots if air and pull it in when blowing out, grab more air and keep going. This is where i need to learn circular breathing. Just dont overdo things – dont want you passing out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.