Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Amazing Sax solos used very few notes…..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I think these solos are great examples of awesome solos that were played using only a handful of notes, pretty amazing to say the least 🙂 It’s pretty cool how we hear solos like this and may/may not realize that they’re only using 5-6 notes from the scale itself. I think once we understand that, then it makes learning to Improvise so much easier. It doesn’t have to be complicated to sound good–the answer is usually just to keep it simple 🙂 I know players like Michael Brecker used a lot more than just 5-6 notes in his Improvising, but it all starts with learning how to use the simple stuff in our playing, then more advanced things are much easier to learn/play. Listen to Big Jay’s licks/riffs he’s playing in that crazy song…there’s so many licks that he’s using that are actually made up of just 1 note, and it sounds great 🙂 I plan on turning SuperFreak and Taking To the Street into Tenor Sax Instrumentals after I’m fully mended 🙂

William Cingolani
      Participant

Some great blues Michael. It really helps to play those 5 or 6 notes with a back up band

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.