Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Improvisation Anyone been working on Flutter tongue? Brown Sugar Sax solo

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Has anyone been working on flutter tongue, or got any tips that you can share? I’m working on it and used the video that I attached below as an aide to help me to try and learn how to flutter tongue. I can do it when the neck is not in the Sax like it demonstrates in the video below when we first start to learn. but it’s a slightly different story when we actually go to flutter tongue while actually playing. I’m in the middle of Killer Blues where we’re breaking down and analyzing the Brown Sugar Sax solo. I can growl super aggressively but flutter tongue sounds much more “clean” than growling for these kinds of licks. Being able to do a good, clean flutter tongue is about the only thing keeping me from doing Johnny’s “Honky Tonk”. Also on songs like Johnny’s theme song of “Peter Gunn” or solos like “Urgent” even growling super aggressively just won’t cut it.

john
      Keymaster

you’re right. what I do is both things together…get the growl going and then add a little flutter to it.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Oh, maybe that will help me what you just said–get the growl going first then add the flutter. I’ve been trying to do it the other way around and it wasn’t working too well…a light just went off in my head. Gonna go try it and see how it goes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.