Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions At what point can a Sax player say hes Intermediate?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi Johnny, I’ll be done with your first ebook in about 2 months and will be ready to start your second ebook on playing Killer Blues(start learning it around October), which again I will just take my time and learn everything the right way, regardless of how long it takes. I’m not taking any short cuts.That’s how I’ve approached your first ebook. My wife thinks that, by the time I start your second ebook that I’m no longer a beginner; I would be more of an intermediate Sax player–I never thought I would say that! So cool :)–In your experience, at what point could a student Sax player rightfully say that they’re an intermediate player? Right now, I’m working on knowing by heart the rest of the scales towards the end of the ebook, play them all on a metronome, slurring them, playing staccato style, etc.

john
      Keymaster

You should have decent technical proficiency such as playing all the scales and using articulation such as slurs and stacatto.
        Also you should know how to read some music such as the songs that are at the end of the firs book, so yes, after all this you would be an intermediate sax player, which is where you should be before starting the Killer Blues course.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Cool Johnny-if that’s the case from what you’re telling me here………I’m almost there! It’s funny because now that I’ve started playing the saxophone; I’ve suddenly become most popular guy in our family/relatives, our friends and in my class-7 months to go before I finish my degree as an RN. I’ve even had some of my instructors/students who are female ask me if I’m married when they found out I’m learning to play the Saxophone! I’m not kidding about that. They told me openly how beautiful they think it is to see a man playing the Saxophone! I just said my wife feels the same way. I played today for lunch in front of classmates “Falling in Love” by Elvis and “What a Wonderful World” by memory-and they loved it. I assured them that I have a long way to go though.

john
          Keymaster

Ya, I’ve heard those kind of stories before from sax players…

Michael Bishop
            Participant

🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.