Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Audio-Technica AT2020 vs MXL 990

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Z
    Participant

Anybody compare these two mics? They’re both about $100. Mxl has a shock mount thingy. I’ve heard clips from both and they both sound great, but if any of you have used either I’d be glad to hear thoughts

Anonymous

I’m interested in anyones recording setups!

at the moment i record sound
        with an i-touch & i want to
        upgrade to an affordable setup!

i don’t want a professional setup,
        too costly, if i wanted a proffesional recording, my
        teacher like Johnny has all the
        gear, but obviously i would have
        to pay to use his room.

I’d have to either go the apple mac route (which would please my daughter as they use it in school for music & music IT) or i’d have to get a 8 track portastudio?

If i go the Mac route, i’d have to buy mics (which one do i buy?),
        then i’d have to buy speakers (which type to buy?).
        Then theres the box in between the
        mac & the mics etc…

I’d also be interested in some sort of portable system like these guys have to play outside – speaker with backing tracks?

All this IT recording stuff is new to me & like mouthpieces i dont want to waste money on trying out
        different mics etc..

William Cingolani
        Participant

I use an audio-technica AT2020 with a wind screen and a pop filter which fits on the mic like a sock. Seems to work for me. I have a mac computer so Garage Band is the way I go. My mic connects to the computer with a usb connector

john
          Keymaster

yes JB, as William says, with a mac it’s simple because garage band is right there and you only need a usb mic to record into it.

Anonymous

thanks – for both replies.
              my current pc is still on windows xp operating system which is out of date and not supported by microsoft, so i will have to buy a new pc or laptop with a more uptodate operating system.

Fed up with windows, and have decided to replace it with a mac laptop later on – so it seems more sensible to build a simple recording setup around it, as i only want something basic. if i wanted a pro recording i would go to a recording studio – but at my level that ain’t gonna happen.

William Cingolani
              Participant

I switched back to my bluebird mic. It needs phantom power so I use my M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface which supplies phantom power. The interface plugs into my mac book pro (garage band) with a USB.

wayne wojnarowski
                Participant

I have a Lenovo lap top just got it, and I used a Samson GO Mike A itty bitty Omni-directional get up it’s pretty good for being inexpensive and easy to set up, as I have no skills with computers.Hey William I have a audio technical 40/40 but it requires phantom power to operate which would mean I would have to use my Fostex 16 trk. digital recorder, that’s to much tech. for me I have to call my nephew all the time hence keep it simple stupid. Thanks for the nice comment .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.