Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire BEATLES TAKE-DOWN!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dazza
    Participant

What is the deal with the Beatles videos being removed from Youtube? Surely the playing of a cover doesn’t constitute a breach of copyright!! Specially when the cover is better than the original…for sax players anyway. What is the world coming to?

Anonymous

its not just the beatles, some of the usa stuff that you can view if you live in the USA is blocked to viewers here in the UK.

likewise theres stuff available to buy on the USA i-tunes website that apple won’t put on our UK i-tunes website.

case in point i couldnt see the last few series of Futurama here in the UK and when i went to florida, i bought them there and brought them back to the UK to watch. They must license things by country.

William Cingolani
        Participant

Here in Florida USA I see a lot of Beatles on Youtube. Must be the location. I heard once that the Michael Jackson Corporation had bought all Beatles music. https://youtu.be/70-WSgZn1MQ

Jazz Cat
          Participant

Hi – I always check a title Here first for copyright policy on youtube, before recording/uploading:

https://www.youtube.com/music_policies

for example it tells you no Beatles allowed

similarly, I’d like to do “Moondance” but can’t/won’t since it says it’s not allowed

William Cingolani
            Participant

Thanks for the link Jazz Cat. I stored the link for future reference.

john
              Keymaster

Are you guys talking about my videos? They are all still up even tho I got an email from Youtube saying they would be taken down in some countries. I checked and they are playing for me. The copyright issue is not a problem when you record your own version (interpretation) of a song. You just can’t use the original recording. But ya, someone is on to the beatles stuff because I recieved 2 warnings last week, one for A Day in the Life, and one for I Feel Fine.

Dazza
                Participant

Yep, I am talking about your songs and they are the two that are not playable in Australia now. If cover versions are breaching copyright then 90% of Youtube will disappear!

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

It seems like over the past year youtube has become increasingly strict about this stuff, I never hear of anyone having copyright problems on Vimeo or Dailymotion. Earlier this year a Sax friend of mine posted an absolutely beautiful Sax cover to a modern song and he got a copyright strike, but it was the kind of strike were he had to take the video down completely. When he shares his stuff with us on facebook, he’s been using dailymotion.com and Vimeo lot more and has never had any problems. He told me last year youtube made Major changes in how they operate, lots of people are hating it.

Michael Bishop
                    Participant

@ Jazz Cat–thanks for the heads up about Moondance as I was going to post it for Johnny to review before my Instructor sees it for our lesson on April 25th (that’s the assigned date for me to play it in front of him). I can put it on Vimeo/paste it here for Johnny. I know I won’t get as many viewers on Vimeo but that’s not what it’s about. For me at this stage it’s about learning. That would be cool Jazz Cat to see you do Moondance too. For a large portion where we can Improvise it stays on the 1 chord, makes it a lot easier. The solo changes chords a few times. My solo will be similar to the Van Morrison’s solo, but not exactly the same. In reality my Instructor doesn’t want me to play an exact copy of the solo, the point of this assignment is to apply the lessons we’ve been covering to Improvise and not making an exact copy of solo, but I still want it to be recognizable too. The main melody is dead-easy to play and I will play it so as to make it a song we recognize like I was talking about. It’s been fun working on it. If you have yours done before April 25th, could you do me a favor and please post it here so I can watch you/pick up some pointers? It would be fantastic if you could; it’s one of the many great things about the blog, great way to learn from others by watching what they do. So, so many great people here on Johnny’s site 🙂

john
                      Keymaster

Dazza, check my page here and tell me what you see:

Beatles Music for Saxophone – 4 Of Their Biggest Hits!

You should see the vimeo video for I Feel Fine. Let me know what it looks like…does the youtube video underneath say video not available in your country or what exactly?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.