Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Carbon Onyx buzzing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Robert Frederick
    Participant

I have bought several Blck Onyx Reeds and like the MS as the M requires too much air for my setup.

Here is my recent experience.

The first time out of the card, they all play like a total dream.

After a few days, I can start getting some funny buzzing and some distortion with some of the reeds. Some mature OK. I played 10 different M and MS reeds last week and sort 3 that play the way I like.

I have been storing them by just laying them on a smooth flat wood surface. I am a little hesitant about putting them into a reed holder for some reason.

My setup is the stock mouthpiece for a 1976 Selmer Mark 7. I am wondering if the ligature pitching together on the outer surface of the reed might be causing my issues.

Perhaps a new mouthpiece or ligature might help.

Any suggestions or advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Dr. Bob

retrorocketmusic.com

Anonymous

I play Alto, and bought 4 different types of synthetic reeds, the first one was faulty, the other 3 sounded too false in the upper registers.

They were ok in the lower and middle register, apart from a few keys that didn’t sound right. To get round various key differences meant using a different embouchure for those corrupt keys – and i didn’t want to spent several weeks retraining my embouchure. So i went back to cane reeds.

I think it’s case of they work for some people – i couldn’t get on with them. I would say the probably work better with Tenor sax’s which play lower down the scale than an alto.

Saying all that, my daughter plays on a clarinet and she uses synthetic reeds with no problems – so i guess it’s just me.

john
        Keymaster

well, I tried several synthetic reeds at first and didn’t like them and so kept using cane. then I found some that worked really well for me and I haven’t played a cane in several years.

the onyx happens to be one of my fave go-to reeds along with the copper. they both work well for me but I don’t get any buzzing issues with either of them.. also never store them, the ones I’m not playing just sit on my desk and the one I am plying just sits on my mouthpiece which is on the sax on the stand. that’s one of the great things about synthetics, no warping and drying out which was a huge issue with cane. so…I think a different mouthpiece can certainly make a difference with what you are dealing with so hopefully you have some in your drawer!

Robert Frederick
          Participant

Johnny”

So I have been liking the MS. The M jut wears me out from blowing to hard after 20 minutes. I ca play a 4 hour gig with a ne MS with three 10 minute breaks.

I have about 10 of these synthetic. I played all 10 of them for about 5 minutes each, some coper, some black, and some tan. I found that I only really liked 5 of them. The dislike is the energy required to plow the M’s and some of the MS reeds.

I like to store them on the desk like you said.

My old ligature clamps a squeezes on the reed surface, so maybe another ligature might brevet the changes that I experience after a accouple of sessions.

Also if you could recommend another mouthpiece to try, I would appreciate it.

A rough cut at my own group

jake
            Participant

I’ve noticed I occasionally get distortion/scratchy sounds. After playing a bit I have a wet mouth and there tends to get saliva on the backside of the reed. I take it off and wipe it down and it’s gone. Not sure if that may be an issue for ya??
              Jake

john
              Keymaster

built up saliva on the reed is a very common issue and when it builds up it can get pretty noisey! not sure if that’s what you are calling a “buzzing” sound.
                also, a ligature can “choke” a reed by being too tight or simply not fitting right as some cheap ones do.

Bob
                Participant

What’s up Doc? Like you I found it became kind of buzzy. Switched to Legere Signature. Great tone and they last. When I played a Mark VII I used a Brilhart metal mouthpiece. I’ve seen some on Reverb. I don’t recall you saying alto or tenor. I get a really nice sound that you can manipulate to match most any style without breaking the bank on a Meyer 5 with a VanDoren M/O ligature on alto. Tenor, I use a VanDoren V16 T7 with a M/O ligature or if I want to darken my tone a bit more, a Rovner Platinum. Now that being said, there’s a Theo Wanne Gaia 4 should arrive tomorrow that I imagine will be hanging off the neck of a Yanagisawa TWO 10 that’s being boxed up in Japan as we speak. So much for the bank.

Cheers

Mel
                  Participant

Interested to hear how you like the new Yanagisawa when it arrives! 🙂

Bob
                    Participant

I’ll be happy to give a full report!

Rick Harvey
                      Participant

I’ve tried Legere & Silverstein & Sons. Would like to try Fiber Reed Carbon Onyx but I live in Canada & when I try to purchase from their website Canada doesn’t show up in their country drop down. Anyone have any suggestions about or if they ship to Canada? Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.