Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Blues sample

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Ok my teacher mentioned, some Pro’s he knows use 3 mic’s to record their sax.

So in this sample i used both of mic’s (track1 track2) to record me playing guitar
      then i used both mic’s (track 3 track4) to record me on sax.
      in the mix, i put tracks 1 & 3 slightly to the left speaker
      and tracks 2 & 4 slightly to the right speaker

In future i probably stick to recording with both mic’s at the same time.

see what you think – any comments welcome

Anonymous

I’ve played some blues , you’ve played some blues, when is Michael going to join us?

Your guitar is nice and clear on this track Sxpoet.

I was going to suggest ‘Poetica’ for the name of your recording label, but that name is already too well used!

Anonymous

@Jeff – thanks Jeff, i won’t be doing anymore recordings for a few days, just a bit more fine tuning with logic pro – need to work out how to put in drum tracks, then i can ge back to practicing some new classical pieces to record.

Recording with 2 mic’s at once while playing an instrument sounds a lot better to me, and i’ve now roughly worked out the best positions for setting the mic’s up in our living room. This is all new stuff to me – recording with logic pro, audio interface & xlr connected mic’s (just a green horn – so if anyone has tips with recording stuff that would be welcome).

I’ve started learning the blues this week taught by my teacher from scratch, so i’m at the baby level of just playing the 1 4 5 keys to each bar in the 12 bars. He’s given me a load of the same backing track in different major keys for me to practce different 1 4 5 chords to improvise along to. I should be doing scales and arpeggios as well for the 1st week. I might do a recording every week to keep to remind me of the stuff i’ll learn every week.

I think Michael’s holding back from doing uploads until he gets his new mic – which i’m sure everyone is looking forward to hearing as he claims his sound problems are related to his recording setup.

Anonymous

wasn’t happy with the guitar volume, so adjusted the settings in logic pro
            for the same recordings

Anonymous

whoops forget to put the compression in

thats it no more changes

Anonymous

just to recap for u recording freaks – the 1st recording is bare
                the 2nd recording uses equaliser
                the 3 rd recording uses compression

same recording just different adjustments to get the final setting

wayne wojnarowski
                Participant

Hey sx poet just thought of this guy here in the states named Jamey Aebersold he’s a jazz head but has phenomenal Blues CD’s with books transposed for Bb Eb Concert and inexpensive!!
                  I’ve learned MUCH!! from the man . he lives on this side of the pond in Indiana, you can get a book and 2 CD”s for 15.00 bucks. I recommend Nothing but the Blues and Blues in all Keys,
                  it will open your playing and your mind tell Jeff as well, also come on over on this side and attend one of his band camps, he is the Real Deal. I think you will like him. WWW. jazzbooks.com

Anonymous

Thanks Wayne – the pro that teaches me – teaches improvisation jazz/blues. He’s currently teaching a friend of mine in his 20’s who has grade 8 in sax, gigs who also teaches the sax, and he’s finding the improvisation taught to him by my teacher hard going – but he’s doing stuff that i would do 10 years down the line.

Thanks for stopping by Wayne, i’ve got a few books by Aebersold.

Somreone on here commented this site is for how to play saxophone, so i’m getting the feeling i may be out growing this site, if its just for learners.

Kevin
                    Participant

James, I think we have all made a comment on a Blog like this that was biased toward the things that were of interest to us. So don’t take one isolated comment as the impetus to not participate and enjoy this site. Jazz Cat graciously rejoined the dialogue, though he found offense in some prior exchange, so kudo’s to one who can keep their eye on the journey and not choose to end it by the inevitable occasional distractions.
                      I for one like to read about learning to record my instrument, and Johnny has a topic devoted to that which for months on end had few comments. So just like our TV we can turn to the channels, and not have to read what has doesn’t interest us. Perhaps it might be more appropriate to use that topic so that the organization of this site is better.
                      Having a place to share your music is one rewarding aspect of becoming a musician. So doing a quality recording kinda goes hand in hand with venues like this that the internet offers to us. I have only been asked or had 2 opportunities to perform with my sax for the 3 years that I’ve been learning, so this site has been one means for me to share music! (the Journey…)

Anonymous

Thanks Kevin. you’ve just backed up what you said by not commenting on my upload. Point taken.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.