Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax Conn Chu Berry Alto from 1927!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Z
    Participant

I just ordered this sax from reverb.com for $1,300! It’s a Conn Chu Berry from 1927 with a complete overhaul. Looks great, and I can’t wait to play it. I watched videos of this particular type of horn for hours and they have an amazing sound if they are in top playing condition, which this one is!

Z
      Participant

Not sure how to do the image upload any better, but if you right click on the picture symbol, it should let you “open in new tab” and then you can see each individual picture.

Z
        Participant

http://imgur.com/a/iSjWb

This should be a link to all of them on the same page… I think

john
          Keymaster

wow that’s a old classic alright!
            my first impression is that the action is set very high on the right hand at least.
            let us know how it plays.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

I’m very jealous Amminn LOL It’s almost impossible to beat those Vintage Saxophones, just something about those Vintage Saxophones that moderns horns lack.

Z
              Participant

This horn is great. HUGE sound out of this thing and it gives me an even better tone than on my previous alto. Intonation is perfect, (it has a microtuner, which I’ve never had on a sax before, but it is really cool!). I get the slightly breathy, sweet vintage sound that I want when I play, and if I put stronger air behind it, I can play pop and rock with no problem. It’s an awesome horn, I’m glad I found this thing.

jake
                Participant

Nice looking sax! I got an old Beuscher True Tone alto from around 1925 or so. Very nice tone on the older saxes. The issue I have with mine is the palm keys seem close to the G# key on my pinky plate. I often found myself slightly hitting the G# key which affected my playing. From the pics is seems as though your palm keys are a little more spread out!
                  Also I noticed the pinky plate is setup differently. I have the same setup on my Selmer Bari sax. Wasn’t too much to get used to. Can’t wait to hear you play some videos with that!! Cool.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.