Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Favorite alternate fingerings?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jazz Cat
    Participant

Hi – anyone have favorite alternate fingerings for middle notes (beyond Bb)?

Example: Play low C fingering off D to play middle C

I was just practicing uptempo blues on the tenor a few minutes ago (using G blues scale) and was pleased to find I could use low-C fingering to play middle C. That never worked for me on alto, but on tenor it’s good. Thx Johnny for your excellent altissimo course, you inspired me to try over/undertones w/different embouchures with that training; using a “middle C embouchure” w/low C fingering works fine to play middle C.

I was having a hard time smoothly/quickly playing this riff:

middle D quarter note, middle C back to D eighth notes, Bb then low G…a standard blues riff

So instead of playing middle D (six fingers), then C (one finger) back to D..I just used low C fingering instead to play middle C, and it’s so much better to quickly go from middle D to C back to D. I’ve only been playing 30 years on and off, sigh…always learning new stuff.

anyone have any others? a neat trick I saw the sax player at Bellagio do was trilling Bb/G but reaching up w/right hand to trill the notes

-k

john
      Keymaster

Interesting points you have brought up…
        I do this stuff a lot
        Finger low C and D but play middle notes
        What this does is give a much dirtier and raunchier tone which of course is great for blues and rock
        Also the thing about trilling Bb and G is an old fave of mine too but it’s only done for showmanship
        That’s all

Jazz Cat
        Participant

hi Johnny, thanks for the tip about it dirtying up the tone, good to know …like how you showed alt. altissimo fingerings to sharpen a note, very valuable insights. right re showmanship, that’s what he told me too when i talked w/him after the gig. that kind of stuff (and how to move your body when you play, side to side, up/down like you do in videos) i really wish I’d known decades ago…many thanks for sharing pro tips, makes for great stage presence…they don’t teach any of that pro stuff in highschool jazz band where i learned in the 70s.

john
          Keymaster

I don’t think you can teach that I would just say to move accordingly as how you feel the music
            That’s what I do anyway
            I think we all have our own way of moving but you’re right it’s better entertainment-wise than someone standing stuff as a board

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.