Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons Favorite Sax Solos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

Hey guys, it would be great to gather a list of people’s favorite sax solos, songs riffs, hooks etc. As a recent poster here suggested Baker Street which is not a solo but nevertheless a great hook line that adds a huge part to the song.

I have just made a new post with two personal suggestions here:https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/favorite-saxophone-solos

Check it out and add your own if you have one!

Rick Wysynski
      Participant

Alto Reed. Old Time Rock and Roll. Nine Tonight
        Johnny Ferreira. Lady
        Boots Randolph. Honky Tonk. Monsterous Sax Hits album…Yakety Sax
        King Curtis. Changes, Memphis Soul Stew, Heard It Through the Grapevine
        And there is more !

Pascal Durrens
        Participant

Hi all,

The sax solo that enticed me to learn sax was the one of Dick Parry in “Money” in the album “Dark side of the moon” by Pink Floyd. I’va still a long way to go to be able to play it good.

cheers

john
          Keymaster

Thanks for including one of mine! And as far as King Curtis goes – Anything!
            Ditto on Money, it was one of the early ones for me as well, I have worked that one out along with another from the same record “Us and Them”

John S
            Participant

Huey Lewis’s (Johnny Colla) Heart of Rock n Roll, Boots Randolph Yakety Sax and Foreigner’s (Junior Walker) Urgent would be cool to learn. I know Junior Walker’s solo gets into the altissimo range quite a bit so that one is a challenge for me.
              -John

john
              Keymaster

Yes, the altissimo is something most here could, or would like to learn or improve on and a serious lesson I am thinking about working on. The whole thing gets quite involved.

art dubois
                Participant

For some unknown reason I cannot reply on the Blog – Boots is phenomenol doing Yakkety Sax!! Unreal!!!
                  Some other good ones posted here bring me sweet memories as well….Urgent….Heart of R & R….and I’m sure there will be more!!

john
                  Keymaster

Yes, I have experienced that problem on the blog too, I’m going to contact my tech guy and see what’s up.
                    thanks
                    Johnny

Mike Moran
                    Participant

Johnny, know it’s a bit specific but any chance of a video lesson on how to play Money or Us and Them? I can play the sax intro on Wearing the Inside Out 🙂 it’s a bit easier than those!

john
                      Keymaster

Ya, I thought of that but couldn’t find my tracks I had for money so then I started to work on Us and Them but didn’t get to finish it. So it’s a definate possiblity when I get a little more time for it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.