Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds fiberreeds

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jeff
    Participant

Hi James, I’ve only just logged in tonight as I’ve been busy preparing a presentation. I’ve found with the YAS62 it requires much more air then the YAS26 which I happily played with a #6 Dadio MP. I had to go back to the beginning and I’m only just starting to feel comfortable with a #3 MP (H2O) and a #1 reed. I get totally out of breath with anything else. I find the whole reed type discussion too technical, as I file and buff the reeds anyway until they feel good to play. I bought a few single Blue Classic #1 Vandoren reeds to get into the YAS62. Not having access to a knowledgeable sax teacher means I have to discover everything for myself which takes a good deal longer I’d bet. I used to use the Java Green #2 reeds on the #6 Dadio MP and was comfortable with them. The necks of the two saxes look identical apart from quality so I don’t know where the difference is created. The necks look the same length with both the YAS26 and YAS62 bore going from 12mm to 22,7mm. It must have something to do with the sonic resonance. I really don’t know as I’m using the same MP and reed on both saxes and I’d have thought it was just the MP gap which regulates the back pressure. Spooky stuff indeed!

sxpoet
      Participant

check out the yamaha comparison

Jeff
        Participant

Thanks James, I guess I shouldn’t ever mention my sub-student YAS-26 again! I do think that if I had bought a 280 first, I never would have acquired the 62.
          When I saw the prices of the 82Z I thought how bad can the 62 really be, and can I justify the additional cost? There is such a tone change from the MP’s on the 26 I doubt if anyone would know what horn you were playing if they only heard the sound. Beverly has sometimes asked me if I was playing the tenor! Cheers Jeffrey

sxpoet
          Participant

checkout the difference between a Jazz Set Up and a Classical Set Up, you have to pick one or the other, you can’t have a Set Up that works for BOTH styles of music.

Jeff
            Participant

I can’t hear what he is saying on this video!

Jeff
              Participant

James to be honest I’m not worried about tone so much at this stage. I’m focussed on tuning, timing and smooth fingering of the notes. When I can do that properly then I’ll worry more about the style of playing i.e. classical or jazz style. Whether to wear a bow tie or cravat, bowler hat or cap, suit, sleeveless shirt or T-shirt, which coloured shades, two toned shoes … 😉

Jeff
                Participant

The Yamaha YAS-62

A YAS-62 iii Review

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.