Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Following the back up music

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Randall Pittman
    Participant

I am having trouble finding my place in the back up music.. Any suggestions?

john
      Keymaster

Hi Randall, can you be more specific? do you mean you get lost throughout or what exactly is happening?

Randall Pittman
        Participant

John

I guess I should say that I get lost throughout. I am not sure that my saxop=
          hone playing is matching up like it should with the back up music

john
          Keymaster

1. go to the video page of the song you’re working on (the page that has the video of me playing the song (or if you downloaded the full mix mp3 of my version)
            2. then get your sheet music and follow along.
            3. make sure you understand the intro count-in, number of intro bars etc. and also the “road map” which means any repeats, 1st ending, 2nd ending. if you don’t understand these then it’s very easy to get lost.

also, how well are you reading thru and playing the song without the backing track?
            we should be fairly confident playing it thru first before doing it with the band.

RockinRobin
            Participant

I’m working on my sound. My recordings sound like I’m in a bucket.

john
              Keymaster

william, let me know what you have set up etc and upload an mp3 of it so I can give a listen…maybe help sort it out.

RockinRobin
                Participant

Thanks Johnny
                  First I’ll move the mike around like above the bell up along the sax sound holes. Work with the gain on the preamp. I’ll keep using GarageBand track for feed back

RockinRobin
                  Participant

Sound is improving. I moved the mike near the holes and above the bell, Maybe 2/3 up the bore. And I adjusted the gain on the preamp. and the trim. Added the Silk. Still working on it. and tomorrow the High Pass filter. So little by little I’ll lose the bucket sound.

john
                    Keymaster

sounds good….also try doing what I do, just put the mic up and about3-4 ft away from the bell and adjust the gain/and your distance.
                      personally I never got into micing real close on tone holes etc.

RockinRobin
                      Participant

Putting the mic 3-4 feet from sounds good. I’ll do that next time I have the horn out like tomorrow. Today I was blowing a lot of Sam Cooke and Hungry Eyes from Dirty Dancing. Thanks Johnny

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.