Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Had my first Sax practice today since late March, went great :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I had my first Sax practice today since my diagnosis of ‘tongue-tie’ started to show itself…today’s practice went really well! 🙂 Better than I expected for sure. I didn’t feel any pain at all, just a little stiffness and that’s because of my tongue-tie. I just did the good-ole basics of my scales/chords, some long tones, Johnny’s exercise of “eeh-ahh” from the lessons we find on the home page, played a good chunk of Harlem Nocturne (great song for rebooting the embouchure) and I’m feeling really good. I have my appointment on July 12th with my Orthodonist to get the Tendon under my tongue cut down to size and with some rehab in the way of range of motion exercises then should be back to normal. I waited until the end of practice to make sure my embouchure muscles were all warmed up to do this….I still popped out Altissimo G on my first attempt! 🙂 Got a long way to go before I’ll be at 100%, but this was very encouraging today…so glad I went and got a 2nd opinion before giving up, let that be a good lesson. Here’s a link for you that defines tongue-tie and how it affects wind instrument players.
      http://www.fauquierent.net/adulttonguetie.htm

paddy jordan
      Participant

Well done Michael thats great to hear.

Marc
        Participant

Hey, that’s rally good news…
          You know, one step at a time… you’ll be up to playing shape sooner than later.

Keep practicing!

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Yep, just start slow and easy…very easy. The last thing I want is to suffer a relapse, that can happen if you push yourself. Just looking forward to a full recovery, that will really start to happen after I get the tendon under my tongue cut down–it’s what has caused this whole ordeal. I’m just glad that it’s not TMJ like I was originally told…I thought it was over for me when I first heard that said.

William Cingolani
            Participant

That great news Michael

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.